*This year, First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver commencement addresses at Bowie State University, Eastern Kentucky University and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Academic Magnet High School for Health Sciences and Engineering at Historic Pearl High (MLK).
The White House announced the list this afternoon. FLOTUS will speak at Bowie State University because of its legacy as Maryland’s oldest historically black university.
Eastern Kentucky University was chosen as part of her Joining Forces initiative because of its outstanding record supporting veterans and military families. She chose MLK Magnet because it is consistently ranked among the best public schools in the nation for its academic rigor and high graduation rate.
View more details about the speeches below:
Bowie State University
The First Lady will speak at the commencement ceremonies for Bowie State University, in Bowie, MD, on the morning of Friday, May 17. The President and First Lady both have recognized the important contributions of HBCUs across the country and have delivered commencement addresses to highlight their successes. This year commemorates Bowie State University’s 148th anniversary as Maryland’s oldest historically black university and one of the oldest in the nation.
Eastern Kentucky University
Mrs. Obama will deliver remarks at the Eastern Kentucky University commencement in Richmond, KY on Saturday, May 11 at 7:30 PM, where she will address graduates from the College of Education and the College of Business and Technology in the last of three ceremonies that day.
Martin Luther King Academic Magnet High School for Health Sciences and Engineering
Mrs. Obama will deliver the commencement address to graduates of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Academic Magnet High School for Health Sciences and Engineering at Historic Pearl High in Nashville, TN on May 18 at 1:00 PM. The school serves approximately 1,200 students in grades 7 through 12 with a curriculum that emphasizes mathematics and science. The school recently unveiled a community-supported wellness center and students have been active in planting and caring for a community garden at the nearby community center; both efforts align with First Lady Michelle Obama’s and Nashville Mayor Karl Dean’s healthy lifestyle initiatives. MLK is part of Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, the nation’s 42nd largest district, which is preparing more than 81,000 students to excel in higher education, work and life with the goal of being the first choice for Nashville’s families.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Draya Michele's Post-Baby Body - Richard Sherman Pranks Himself
- You Can Purchase 'Boycott Beyoncé' Shirts at 'Formation' Tour
- R.Kelly Accused of Screwing Promoter Out of $500k
- W. Kamau Bell Screens 'United Shades of America' in Atlanta
- Flavor Flav Offered to Give O.J. Simpson Back His Bronze Statue
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Javier Colon performs May 4, 2016 at Rams Head on Stage
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here