*Beyoncé and Jay Z ’s trip to Cuba has caused a bit of a stir, particularly among two Republican lawmakers.
As we previously reported, the Hip Hop power couple ventured off to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary and was seen sightseeing, dancing and dining in Havana. But some are wondering who approved the trip, being that the country is basically off limits.
Florida reps Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republican members of Congress that represent high populations of Cuban-Americans in south Florida, asked for ”information regarding the type of license that Beyoncé and Jay-Z received, for what purpose, and who approved such travel.”
“Despite the clear prohibition against tourism in Cuba, numerous press reports described the couple’s trip as tourism, and the Castro regime touted it as such in its propaganda,” Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart wrote in the letter.
“We represent a community of many who have been deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime’s atrocities, including former political prisoners and the families of murdered innocents,” they added.
However, the bottom line is that the stars’ controversial trip was legal, a source confirmed to Reuters. Beyoncé and Jay-Z were apparently carrying licences provided by the Treasury’s office of foreign assets control, which oversees US citizens’ visits to Cuba. The terms of these permits are not clear: Jay Carney, the White House press secretary, called it “a Treasury matter”, while the Treasury’s spokesman, John Sullivan, told the Associated Press he could not comment on particular licences.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z have declined to comment on their trip.
- Neighbors Watch in Horror as Two Girls Jump from Burning Building
- Watch FSU QB De’Andre Johnson PUNCH Woman in Face; Gets Released
- EUR Speaks with Kem, Lalah Hathaway & Dee-1 At 2015 Essence Festival (WATCH)
- Beyoncé Video Inspires Curvy 68 Story Australian Skyscraper
- Turner's Two Cents: Obama Did Not Call Immigrants Gangbangers
- $2 Million Lawsuit Filed Against Former NBA Player Tyrone Hill
- Chicago’s Tragic, Unending 4th of July Gun Violence Ritual Continues
- The Socialist's Journal: The Peril of Being Hillary Clinton
- Gunshots Damage 3 Luxury Cars At Studio Connected with Rick Ross
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here