*Beyoncé and Jay Z ’s trip to Cuba has caused a bit of a stir, particularly among two Republican lawmakers.
As we previously reported, the Hip Hop power couple ventured off to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary and was seen sightseeing, dancing and dining in Havana. But some are wondering who approved the trip, being that the country is basically off limits.
Florida reps Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart, both Republican members of Congress that represent high populations of Cuban-Americans in south Florida, asked for ”information regarding the type of license that Beyoncé and Jay-Z received, for what purpose, and who approved such travel.”
“Despite the clear prohibition against tourism in Cuba, numerous press reports described the couple’s trip as tourism, and the Castro regime touted it as such in its propaganda,” Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart wrote in the letter.
“We represent a community of many who have been deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime’s atrocities, including former political prisoners and the families of murdered innocents,” they added.
However, the bottom line is that the stars’ controversial trip was legal, a source confirmed to Reuters. Beyoncé and Jay-Z were apparently carrying licences provided by the Treasury’s office of foreign assets control, which oversees US citizens’ visits to Cuba. The terms of these permits are not clear: Jay Carney, the White House press secretary, called it “a Treasury matter”, while the Treasury’s spokesman, John Sullivan, told the Associated Press he could not comment on particular licences.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z have declined to comment on their trip.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Pilar Sanders Will Have to Pay Deion Sanders $2.2M and Go Back to Jail
- Police Erased Video of Laquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here