*Rapper Talib Kweli on Monday weighed in on the Rick Rock controversy surrounding his verse on the song U.O.E.N.O.
During a HuffPost Live segment hosted by Marc Lamont Hill, Kweli took issue with Ross’s contention that his line seeming to promote date rape, was simply a “misunderstanding.”
“I don’t care if Rick Ross is 40 years old — he’s a misguided 40-year-old person,”
“Rick Ross condoned rape in that song … and he should apologize, and his apology that he offered was unacceptable.” Kweli continued.
Ebony Magazine’s News & Life Editor Jamilah Lemieux, Washington Post columnist Rahiel Tesfamariam and activist Rosa Clemente also participated in the segment discussing not only Ross’ lyric, but also the importance of holding hip-hop artists and American communities accountable for not proactively rejecting rape culture or adequately addressing the prevalence of violence against women.
“A lot of what we criticize about hip-hop, we tend to make it black specific, or ghetto specific, or male specific. It’s just an American problem. So you have white men, you have white male politicians who have said things that are very similar to what Rick Ross said,” Lemieux commented.
Click here to watch the entire HuffPost Live segment discussing Rick Ross.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Black Male Valedictorian, Straight A Student, Barred from Walking Grad Stage
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here