*Rapper Talib Kweli on Monday weighed in on the Rick Rock controversy surrounding his verse on the song U.O.E.N.O.
During a HuffPost Live segment hosted by Marc Lamont Hill, Kweli took issue with Ross’s contention that his line seeming to promote date rape, was simply a “misunderstanding.”
“I don’t care if Rick Ross is 40 years old — he’s a misguided 40-year-old person,”
“Rick Ross condoned rape in that song … and he should apologize, and his apology that he offered was unacceptable.” Kweli continued.
Ebony Magazine’s News & Life Editor Jamilah Lemieux, Washington Post columnist Rahiel Tesfamariam and activist Rosa Clemente also participated in the segment discussing not only Ross’ lyric, but also the importance of holding hip-hop artists and American communities accountable for not proactively rejecting rape culture or adequately addressing the prevalence of violence against women.
“A lot of what we criticize about hip-hop, we tend to make it black specific, or ghetto specific, or male specific. It’s just an American problem. So you have white men, you have white male politicians who have said things that are very similar to what Rick Ross said,” Lemieux commented.
Click here to watch the entire HuffPost Live segment discussing Rick Ross.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince Entered Treatment Program for Hip Pain & Medication Use
- Kehoe Brothers to Direct R-rated Action-comedy for Tyler Perry
- WATCH President Obama Crack on Trump, Bernie and More at WHCD
- Ray and Janay Rice Announce they Are Expecting Baby Number 2
- Fox Gives First Look at Fierce Films for 2016
- Derrick Rose Rape Accuser Pleads Not to Have Identity Revealed
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- VIDEO: Deya Gets Direct With Denise Boutte on the Fantastic Voyage '16
- Drake Says New Album 'Views' Sold 630,000 Copies in One Night!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here