*The two women shot by Los Angeles police during the Chris Dorner manhut will receive $4.2 million after settling with the LAPD.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the agreement will save the city tons of money.
Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were delivering newspapers in Torrance on Feb. 7 when LAPD officers shot repeatedly at their blue Toyota Tacoma. Hernandez was shot twice in the back, and Carranza’s hands were injured by either broken glass or shrapnel, attorney Glen Jonas said.
At the time of the incident, officers were protecting the home of high-ranking police official named in Dorner’s manifesto. By that time, he had already killed the daughter of an LAPD captain, her fiancé, and a Riverside police officer.
Jonas said his starting point for the negotiations was $15 million or $16 million, but said the agreement insured that the women received a timely payment and avoided potential risks of going to trial, says the Times.
“I have a 71-year-old client. You think she wants to risk the appellate court reversing it for one reason or another?” Jonas said. “$4.2 million means a lot more to her today than potentially $7 million 10 years down the road.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- While Supreme Court Guts 4th Amendment, Black America left hypnotized by the NBA and Lebron James
- Mahershala Ali: The 'Free State of Jones' Interview with Kam Williams
- R. Kelly’s Ex-Wife Drea Takes Twerking to a New Level...And In a Floor Length Skirt (Watch)
- Broadway’s ‘Shuffle Along’ to Close With Audra McDonald’s Maternity Exit
- Obama to Cavs Coach Tyronn Lue: "Tell J.R. and Everybody to Put On a Shirt" (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here