*The two women shot by Los Angeles police during the Chris Dorner manhut will receive $4.2 million after settling with the LAPD.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the agreement will save the city tons of money.
Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were delivering newspapers in Torrance on Feb. 7 when LAPD officers shot repeatedly at their blue Toyota Tacoma. Hernandez was shot twice in the back, and Carranza’s hands were injured by either broken glass or shrapnel, attorney Glen Jonas said.
At the time of the incident, officers were protecting the home of high-ranking police official named in Dorner’s manifesto. By that time, he had already killed the daughter of an LAPD captain, her fiancé, and a Riverside police officer.
Jonas said his starting point for the negotiations was $15 million or $16 million, but said the agreement insured that the women received a timely payment and avoided potential risks of going to trial, says the Times.
“I have a 71-year-old client. You think she wants to risk the appellate court reversing it for one reason or another?” Jonas said. “$4.2 million means a lot more to her today than potentially $7 million 10 years down the road.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Madonna Claps Back at BET - Tamar Dropped From Record Label?
- Parents of Alabama Teen Electrocuted in Lake Warns Others to 'Be Careful' (Video)
- Snoop Dogg Right on 'Roots' Remake for the Wrong Reasons (Video)
- ‘Roots’ Remake Draws 5.3M Viewers Against Record-Setting NBA Playoff Game
- What Mariah Carey Wore to ‘Live with Kelly’s’ Daytime Pajama Party (Watch)
- Pics Surface of Alleged Khloe Kardashian/Odell Beckham Jr. Hookup at Drake's Party
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Dez Bryant Salutes Spelling Bee Co-Champ Who Threw His ‘X’ Sign
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here