Her music, such as “Baby,” the duet with Betty Wright, that garnered her a Grammy nomination, reaches down not only into the soul but the heart of her fans. She’s also sung on Broadway, appearing as Big Mama Thornton in “Chicago.”
She hopes to be a mentor to the other singing sensations on the show, something she says she sorely missed when she started out in her career.
“I only wish I had Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, and Betty Wright. I wish I had those people to sit down with me in a forum such as this and say hey this is how you don’t make these mistakes. This is how you do this. This is how you do this which is why I’m still here.” Stone passionately said.
“Success comes along with a price.” She voiced with regret. “The price of success is sacrifice. Sacrifice of your family. When I say sacrifice I don’t mean in a rude way or an ugly way. But, as a mother, I don’t get to be with my children every week. I don’t get to go to all the school functions. People think money is everything. Money is not everything.”
Stone has two children; a daughter, Diamond, and son, Michael, whose father is neo soul singer D’Angelo.
In an exclusive interview, Stone talked about what she hoped to bring to the show.
“I’d like to bring a legacy of leadership that says I survived because I learned from my past mistakes. I looked over the shoulders of the other women who were before me and I got it.”
Faith Evans, a star and producer of the popular reality series, wanted Stone in the first season. But, she says it was because of business reasons that she couldn’t take the offer.
“It came back around for me to do it again. They met me with all of the things that I needed to do the show which is great. I’m excited about that. It feels really good.”
Stone, in the music business since 1979, has been one busy lady. Besides being one of the Divas, she has several other TV and movie projects that she’s excited about.
“I just finished “Scary Movie 5” (release date- April 11). I’m in that. I’m in Ice Cube’s new movie “Ride Along” (coming out 2014).” Currently working on two television show ideas. One is called “Nana Knows Best.” But, I’m also taking a behind the scenes position, in the process of developing a show that’s already in the works. I don’t want to give the name away. I’m going to serve as producer, director and creator on the show.”
Look for Stone to make her first appearance on R&B Divas: Atlanta tonight (05-09-13) when the show airs at 10 p.m. ET on TV One.
You can hear the entire interview below.
Reach Tene’ Croom at [email protected]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- ‘Troubled Loner’ vs. ‘Thugs’: Why the Loaded Language in Crime Stories?
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- DMX Makes Sitcom Debut as Love Expert on ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here