*Speaking for the first time since Angelina Jolie went public about her decision to undergo a preventive double mastectomy, her boyfriend Brad Pitt said the move is nothing less than “heroic.”
The actor told London’s Evening Standard he’s 100 percent supportive of his partner taking steps to reduce her risk of cancer, which runs in Jolie’s family.
“Having witnessed this decision firsthand, I find Angie’s choice, as well as so many others like her, absolutely heroic,” he said. “I thank our medical team for their care and focus.”
Pitt added: “All I want…is for her to have a long and healthy life, with myself and our children. This is a happy day for our family.”
In a New York Times op-ed, Jolie wrote that she carries the “faulty” gene BRCA1 and had an 87 percent risk of developing breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of getting ovarian cancer in her lifetime.
Given that her mother, Marcheline Bertrand, died of ovarian cancer in 2007 at age 56, the 37-year-old actress chose to be “proactive” and “minimize the risk” so she could be there in the future for the couple’s six children.
Jolie subsequently underwent three operations between February and April that saw tissue from both breasts removed. However she was able to keep the nipple, thanks to what she described was a painful procedure called a “nipple delay” followed by reconstruction with implants.
Now that it’s over, the thesp revealed that her risk of getting breast cancer has since dropped to under 5 percent, so having a mastectomy was a decision she was happy to make.
“I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer,” she wrote.
Jolie added that she’s lucky to have a partner in Pitt, whom she called “loving and supportive” and was there for her “every minute of the surgeries.”
“We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer. And it has,” she said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here