“I never told these people they could use my name for this,” Charles Ramsey said in a written statement released through attorney, Patricia Walker.
Ramsey, the man who helped rescue three women held captive in a Cleveland house said Friday that he’s not endorsing a group of restaurants that are offering him free burgers for life and wants his name kept out of it.
The restaurant where Ramsey worked as a dishwasher initially created a special burger named his honor, called the Ramsey Burger. Then more than a dozen area eateries had decided a larger tribute was due.
Ramsey said he doesn’t endorse the northeast Ohio restaurants that are offering burgers bearing the Ramsey name, or that are promoting a lifetime of free burgers for him.
The owner of the restaurant group said in a statement Friday evening that it will drop the burger from the menu, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported.
“We are saddened to hear that Chuck did not take this – or the offer of so many Cleveland restaurants to give him free meals – in the spirit we intended,” Scott Kuhn of the Driftwood Restaurant Group said in a statement, the newspaper reported.
Ramsey was called a hero after helping Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight break out of the house May 6. Homeowner Ariel Castro faces charges. His defense team has said he will plead not guilty.
Read the rest of this report at NewsOne.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here