*During an interview last month at Duquesne Law School in Pittsburgh, Pa., Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was asked if Barack Obama’s election as the first black president came as a surprise.
Thomas said it didn’t, claiming that he’d always believed a black person would become president one day, reports the Huffington Post. He went on to say, however, that Obama had only been elected because the president won over the elites and media, something Thomas argued most black people must do in order to advance.
“The thing that I always knew is that it would have to be a black president who was approved by the elites and the media, because anybody they didn’t agree with, they would take apart,” Thomas said in a clip that surfaced on Friday. “You pick your person. Any black person who says something that is not the prescribed things that they expect from a black person will be picked apart.”
Thomas’s comments have since been picked up by a number of outlets and are being considered by some as a subtle jab at Obama. Adam Winkler, a professor at the University of California School of Law, told Mother Jones that the remarks were out of character for a sitting Supreme Court justice.
“Thomas seems more interested in becoming a Fox commentator than preserving the integrity of the Court,” he said. “Justices should not take pot shots at the president. It’s beneath the dignity of the court.”
At the Duquesne Law School event, Thomas went on to explain that he had met Obama before, but had never spoken with the president at length. He also said that he wasn’t really interested in politics.
“I just don’t like politics,” he said. “I’m just done … I like history, I like things of substance; I don’t understand politics.”
- FDA Clears the Way for 'The Little Pink Pill' Viagra for Women!
- Beverly Johnson: 'The Face That Changed It All' - EUR BOOK REVIEW
- Janelle Monáe & Wondaland Records Artists ‘Speak Up’ on #BlackLivesMatter
- #BlackLivesMatter Critic Peggy Hubbard Tells Activists to 'Bite Me'
- The Weeknd Covers Beyonce at Billboard Hot 100 Festival [Watch]
- Ohio Cop Pulls Man Over for 'Making Direct Eye Contact' (Watch)
- WATCH! Rapper Kevin Gates Viciously Kicks Woman in Chest/Facial Area
- History Making ‘Les Miserables’ Star Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dies at 21
- EUR on the Scene: Exclusive Look Inside the 2015 VMAs
- Jamaican Author Shares Her Story on Being Raped at Gunpoint; Empowers Women to Triumph Over Adversity
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here