“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball.”
In an interview with Jet Magazine, the star basketball player described his custody battle and how his life experiences influenced his parenting methods.
Wade on his reason for pushing through the difficult custody battle:
“I didn’t set out to get full custody but I wasn’t able to see my kids the way I wanted and I’m not a parent who’s going to run away from his responsibilities. I was probably a terrible husband, but I pride myself on being a good dad.”
Wade on his rocky relationship with estranged ex-wife Siohvaughn Funches:
“It’s been six years and hopefully one day she and I can get to the point where it’s a lot easier than it is now to co-parent.”
Mom Jolinda Wade on how Dwyane’s dad impacted his fathering:
“Dwyane came up not having a father around, so he didn’t think he was missing anything. But having his father take over the key role in parenting was very impactful. That was the first view he got as a young man to see what to do and what not to do.”
Dwyane on his fathering skills of his two sons Zaire, 11, and Zion, 5 and nephew Dahveon Morris, 11 (who he has legal guardianship of):
“I’m the kind of parent who asks my kids questions like what would be your ideal thing to do in the summer? This year it’s Disney World,” explains Wade, the proud father of two boys. Even though I make the final decision, I want them to feel involved. Not only in vacations but other things as well.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Daniel ‘Boobie’ Gibson Reacts to Keyshia Cole’s Engagement Tweet (Pic)
- Photo of Dog With Mouth Taped Shut on Facebook, Leads to Arrest of NC Woman
- Donovan McNabb Begins 18-Day Jail Sentence in Arizona
- If You Missed it, Here's the Soul Train Awards Babyface Tribute (WATCH)
- 50 Cent Still Hasn’t Paid $7M Judgment to Rick Ross’ Baby Mother
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Fires Police Supt. Garry McCarthy
- Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, Laila Ali Join Alicia Keys Charity as Ambassadors
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here