“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball.”
In an interview with Jet Magazine, the star basketball player described his custody battle and how his life experiences influenced his parenting methods.
Wade on his reason for pushing through the difficult custody battle:
“I didn’t set out to get full custody but I wasn’t able to see my kids the way I wanted and I’m not a parent who’s going to run away from his responsibilities. I was probably a terrible husband, but I pride myself on being a good dad.”
Wade on his rocky relationship with estranged ex-wife Siohvaughn Funches:
“It’s been six years and hopefully one day she and I can get to the point where it’s a lot easier than it is now to co-parent.”
Mom Jolinda Wade on how Dwyane’s dad impacted his fathering:
“Dwyane came up not having a father around, so he didn’t think he was missing anything. But having his father take over the key role in parenting was very impactful. That was the first view he got as a young man to see what to do and what not to do.”
Dwyane on his fathering skills of his two sons Zaire, 11, and Zion, 5 and nephew Dahveon Morris, 11 (who he has legal guardianship of):
“I’m the kind of parent who asks my kids questions like what would be your ideal thing to do in the summer? This year it’s Disney World,” explains Wade, the proud father of two boys. Even though I make the final decision, I want them to feel involved. Not only in vacations but other things as well.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Alice Walker Writes Poem Inspired by Jesse Williams’ BET Awards Speech
- WATCH: Celebs Talk Summer Anthems at the 2016 BET Awards
- Opinion: Kanye West Not Worth a Billion dollars from Adidas Deal (WATCH)
- Future Talks Album Flop, Ciara's Lawsuit & Russell Wilson
- Woman’s Viral National Anthem Leads to National TV Singing Debut on ‘GMA’ (Watch)
- Mike Tirico Says Goodbye to ESPN after 25 Years (Watch Full Remarks)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here