“A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger than Basketball.”
In an interview with Jet Magazine, the star basketball player described his custody battle and how his life experiences influenced his parenting methods.
Wade on his reason for pushing through the difficult custody battle:
“I didn’t set out to get full custody but I wasn’t able to see my kids the way I wanted and I’m not a parent who’s going to run away from his responsibilities. I was probably a terrible husband, but I pride myself on being a good dad.”
Wade on his rocky relationship with estranged ex-wife Siohvaughn Funches:
“It’s been six years and hopefully one day she and I can get to the point where it’s a lot easier than it is now to co-parent.”
Mom Jolinda Wade on how Dwyane’s dad impacted his fathering:
“Dwyane came up not having a father around, so he didn’t think he was missing anything. But having his father take over the key role in parenting was very impactful. That was the first view he got as a young man to see what to do and what not to do.”
Dwyane on his fathering skills of his two sons Zaire, 11, and Zion, 5 and nephew Dahveon Morris, 11 (who he has legal guardianship of):
“I’m the kind of parent who asks my kids questions like what would be your ideal thing to do in the summer? This year it’s Disney World,” explains Wade, the proud father of two boys. Even though I make the final decision, I want them to feel involved. Not only in vacations but other things as well.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Too Bad Girlfriends Don't Know Everything
- Suge Knight Loses Phone and Visitor Privileges in Jail
- Wiz Khalifa Inks Deal to Release Own Line of Weed Strains
- Stop Complaining About that Mole, This Could've Happened!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here