*Fantasia Barrino, despite the soap opera of her personal life being played out in the media, has had a successful career since winning “American Idol” in 2004.
The award-winning singer recently sat down with theGrio and talked about her career. She also shared her unbridled opinion about the show that made her famous.
TheGrio: What does Side Effects of You represent for you as a veteran singer?
Fantasia: I’m in a great place now. I got in the game at a very young age. In the beginning it’s fabulous, it’s the glitz, it’s the glamour and everyone is happy.
My grandmother used to tell me “to whom much is given, much is required.” Everything went so fast with winning American Idol.
Everyone around me was happy and saying, “I love you”…I look around now and none of those people are here now. They left me with a lot of baggage and things that I needed to clear up.
To be at this point now, I’m so proud of myself for making it through. It didn’t knock me down; I’m still standing in this game.
TheGrio: Do you feel American Idol still has the star making potential it did when you were coming up 10 years ago?
FB: Umm I do…I always say you can’t turn somebody into a star; you’re born that way.
Whenever I see somebody hit the stage I can always point them out and say, “Yo that person is special.” And when I say special, I mean that is what they are destined to do.
Even when Carrie Underwood was on that year on Idol, I told them, “She’s the one, she’s special.” So I don’t think it’s up to the judges. They are just vessels to push and promote that person to where God ends up wanting their life.
Check out the full story here.
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Usain Bolt Mowed Down by Segway (WATCH)
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy Offers scholarship to an ‘Uplifting Minds II’ Talent on Saturday October 24
- Let's Get Direct! Fail to Win!
- Kevin Craig West’s Starring Role in 'Twilight The StoryTellers -The Groundskeeper' Reaches 3 Million + Facebook Views
- Street Leading to Sandra Bland's Alma Mater Renamed in Her Honor
- Burger King Proposes to McDonalds ... in the Name of Peace
- Had Your Fill Yet?
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts - Black Stars of the Great White Way (Part I)
- Russell Wilson Says God Has Anointed Him and Ciara
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here