*“Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” starring Idris Elba and Naomie Harris, has finally gotten itself a U.S. distributor.
At the Cannes Film Festival in France over the weekend, the film’s production companies Pathe International and Distant Horizon struck a deal with The Weinstein Company for distribution throughout North America, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Distribution was also picked up for France, Germany, Brazil and Australia, among others.
“Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” is based on Mandela’s autobiography. It traces the freedom fighter’s journey from childhood to his election as president of South Africa. “It explores the Mandela unknown to most of the world — the lover of fast cars and women, the boxing enthusiast and playboy, the skillful lawyer and the gun-toting freedom fighter,” according to a description of the film.
At an event in Cannes this weekend, The Weinstein Company announced a Thanksgiving weekend release for the movie in the U.S.
Latest sales will bring the film to the U.K. and France via Pathe, Germany (Senator), Australia (Village Roadshow), Scandinavia (Scanbox), the Benelux countries (Paradiso), Brazil (Vinny Films), Hong Kong (Golden Scene), Israel (Shani), the Middle East (Gulf Films) and Singapore (Shaw). Deals with several additional territories are currently being negotiated.
Said producer Anant Singh: “We are thrilled that distributors around the world have responded so positively to the film and to its commercial and creative potential. The journey to getting the film made has been a long and exciting one, and we are delighted to have found so many partners who share our passion for the little known story of how Mandela became an icon for the world. Made with Mandela’s blessing, the film is an apt tribute to a great man who celebrates his 95th birthday this year.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Porsha Williams, Cynthia Bailey 'RHOA' Fight, Time to Retire B-word?
- Vivica A. Fox Wants an 'Empire' Spinoff Based on Candace
- Report: Tom Joyner Being Forced Out of Own Radio Show; Russ Parr to Take Over
- 50 Cent Sitcom ‘My Friend 50’ Headed to Fox
- The Best of Black Twitter’s #PopeBars
- Mom of Ronald Johnson Wants Dashcam Video of Son's Killing Released (VIdeo)
- 'L&HHH's' Milan Christopher Denies Dating ‘Empire’s’ Jussie Smollett
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here