*“Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” starring Idris Elba and Naomie Harris, has finally gotten itself a U.S. distributor.
At the Cannes Film Festival in France over the weekend, the film’s production companies Pathe International and Distant Horizon struck a deal with The Weinstein Company for distribution throughout North America, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Distribution was also picked up for France, Germany, Brazil and Australia, among others.
“Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom” is based on Mandela’s autobiography. It traces the freedom fighter’s journey from childhood to his election as president of South Africa. “It explores the Mandela unknown to most of the world — the lover of fast cars and women, the boxing enthusiast and playboy, the skillful lawyer and the gun-toting freedom fighter,” according to a description of the film.
At an event in Cannes this weekend, The Weinstein Company announced a Thanksgiving weekend release for the movie in the U.S.
Latest sales will bring the film to the U.K. and France via Pathe, Germany (Senator), Australia (Village Roadshow), Scandinavia (Scanbox), the Benelux countries (Paradiso), Brazil (Vinny Films), Hong Kong (Golden Scene), Israel (Shani), the Middle East (Gulf Films) and Singapore (Shaw). Deals with several additional territories are currently being negotiated.
Said producer Anant Singh: “We are thrilled that distributors around the world have responded so positively to the film and to its commercial and creative potential. The journey to getting the film made has been a long and exciting one, and we are delighted to have found so many partners who share our passion for the little known story of how Mandela became an icon for the world. Made with Mandela’s blessing, the film is an apt tribute to a great man who celebrates his 95th birthday this year.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Demolition of Aretha Franklin’s Birth Home Postponed
- Overcoming Dating Burnout: How to Thrive in the Deprived Dating Scene
- Daddy & Daughter Release Book for Brooklyn, NYC Tourists
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here