*Lauryn Hill has been accused of incorporating anti-gay lyrics into one of her new songs.
In “Neurotic Society (Compulsory Mix),” the 38-year-old activist sings about the perils of society.
In addition to making references about psychological massacre and superficial vanity, Hill’s songs seem to include anti-gay statements, slamming ”drag queens,” “girl men” and ”social transvestism,” BET’s Monica Miller notes.
Though she’s a musician who consistently advocates on behalf of the oppressed, Hill “might not extend her concerns to gay and lesbian communities,” Miller writes.
Via BET: Whether or not Hill is merely using these comments as examples of the smokescreens and sleight-of-hands that pervade this “Neurotic Society” is unclear. Beyond intention, these sorts of statements suggest that society is in a shambles because it’s been taking too many cues from the LGBTQ community, acting like “girl men,” “drag queens” and “transvestites.” Is her beef with oppressive society or is her issue with people who don’t abide by a traditional family structure? Hill raps about “drag queens” after naming “greedy men and pride fiends.” She also mentions “social transvestism” and “subliminal dressed up as piety.”
“I love being able to reach people directly, but in an ideal scenario, I would not have to rush the release of new music… but the message is still there,” she wrote about dropping her new single with Sony. “In light of Wednesday’s tragic loss (of former label mate Chris Kelly), I am even more pressed to YELL this to a multitude that may not understand the cost of allowing today’s unhealthy paradigms to remain unchecked!”
- 53rd New York Film Festival Headed for Another Great Run
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here