*Michael Winans Jr. of the famous Gospel singing family, put shame to the clan’s name when he was caught swindling church members out of millions earlier this year.
He was a part of a financial scheme, that made $8 million.
Since being sentenced to 14 years in prison, which will begin May 9, he discusses his the case in a video.
“There have been some things said about me that are just not true. I was charged with wire fraud and on Feb. 27, 2013 sentenced to nearly 14 years in prison. There are numerous stories out there that claim I stole millions of dollars from innocent people, that is not true,” he explained, before adding: “I’m not blameless and I’m willing to take responsibility for my mistakes, but I’m not willing to take responsibility for what others did in my name.”
He goes on to say that those involved in the scheme used his name to gain the trust of innocent church victims.
“Let it be clear that I did not start this investment. My name was used without my permission to solicit money by a lot of people, including Tim Hunt the creator of the fraudulent oil investment. Much of the money that was collected by others that was supposedly going to me, never even came to me. I didn’t even get the money,” he offered
Michael added that his lawyer, who he’s since replaced, wasn’t good and is to blame for the long sentence.
“If that’s not enough, to make matters worse, my attorney failed to do his job for me. He told me not to comment at all on the case even though I wanted to explain that I paid back a lot of people,” he said.
In a court filing, Michael said he should be held responsible for $1.2 million in losses, not $8 million.
Winans pled guilty to selling bogus Saudi Arabian oil bonds.
Check out the video:
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here