*Michael Winans Jr. of the famous Gospel singing family, put shame to the clan’s name when he was caught swindling church members out of millions earlier this year.
He was a part of a financial scheme, that made $8 million.
Since being sentenced to 14 years in prison, which will begin May 9, he discusses his the case in a video.
“There have been some things said about me that are just not true. I was charged with wire fraud and on Feb. 27, 2013 sentenced to nearly 14 years in prison. There are numerous stories out there that claim I stole millions of dollars from innocent people, that is not true,” he explained, before adding: “I’m not blameless and I’m willing to take responsibility for my mistakes, but I’m not willing to take responsibility for what others did in my name.”
He goes on to say that those involved in the scheme used his name to gain the trust of innocent church victims.
“Let it be clear that I did not start this investment. My name was used without my permission to solicit money by a lot of people, including Tim Hunt the creator of the fraudulent oil investment. Much of the money that was collected by others that was supposedly going to me, never even came to me. I didn’t even get the money,” he offered
Michael added that his lawyer, who he’s since replaced, wasn’t good and is to blame for the long sentence.
“If that’s not enough, to make matters worse, my attorney failed to do his job for me. He told me not to comment at all on the case even though I wanted to explain that I paid back a lot of people,” he said.
In a court filing, Michael said he should be held responsible for $1.2 million in losses, not $8 million.
Winans pled guilty to selling bogus Saudi Arabian oil bonds.
Check out the video:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here