*Some production company called Noosa Films has a Josephine Baker biopic in the works with Rihanna as its first choice to play the lead role.
The ‘Diamonds’ hitmaker is producers’ first choice to play the iconic American-born French dancer in a new biopic about her life, based on her autobiography ‘Josephine’.
Noosa Films won rights to her autobiography “Josephine” from French publishers, Editions Robert Laffont. According to WENN, producer W. Lance Reynolds is hoping Rihanna will accept the part.
“Rihanna is one of the most talented performers of this millennium and with her unique acting and performing abilities I have no doubt she will bring Josephine back to life on the big screen,” Reynolds said in a statement.
Born in America in 1905, Baker became a French citizen in 1937 after moving to Paris, where she was renowned as a world class dancer and stage performer.
The cabaret star was the first African-American female to feature in a major movie, starring in 1934’s “Zouzou,” and was given the Croix de guerre, a prestigious French military honor, for her efforts in aiding the French Resistance during World War II.
Married four times and mother to 12 adopted children, Baker’s personal life was as notable as her glitzy 50 year career.
The revue performer has previously been portrayed on screen by Sonia Rolland in Woody Allen’s 2011 comedy “Midnight in Paris” and Karine Plantadit in Salma Hayek’s Oscar-nominated “Frida.”
Meanwhile, Diana Ross has long lobbied to bring Baker’s life in a biopic but to no avail.
Rihanna recently made her movie debut with a role in “Battleship” in 2012.
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here