*Some production company called Noosa Films has a Josephine Baker biopic in the works with Rihanna as its first choice to play the lead role.
The ‘Diamonds’ hitmaker is producers’ first choice to play the iconic American-born French dancer in a new biopic about her life, based on her autobiography ‘Josephine’.
Noosa Films won rights to her autobiography “Josephine” from French publishers, Editions Robert Laffont. According to WENN, producer W. Lance Reynolds is hoping Rihanna will accept the part.
“Rihanna is one of the most talented performers of this millennium and with her unique acting and performing abilities I have no doubt she will bring Josephine back to life on the big screen,” Reynolds said in a statement.
Born in America in 1905, Baker became a French citizen in 1937 after moving to Paris, where she was renowned as a world class dancer and stage performer.
The cabaret star was the first African-American female to feature in a major movie, starring in 1934’s “Zouzou,” and was given the Croix de guerre, a prestigious French military honor, for her efforts in aiding the French Resistance during World War II.
Married four times and mother to 12 adopted children, Baker’s personal life was as notable as her glitzy 50 year career.
The revue performer has previously been portrayed on screen by Sonia Rolland in Woody Allen’s 2011 comedy “Midnight in Paris” and Karine Plantadit in Salma Hayek’s Oscar-nominated “Frida.”
Meanwhile, Diana Ross has long lobbied to bring Baker’s life in a biopic but to no avail.
Rihanna recently made her movie debut with a role in “Battleship” in 2012.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- WNBA's Candace Parker Shares Handwritten Recruitment Letter from Pat Summitt
- No Designers Wanted to Dress Leslie Jones for 'Ghostbusters' Red Carpet
- Drake Struggles With 'Work Banter' in Cut ‘SNL’ Sketch (Watch)
- Stranger Defends Teen Harassed for Selling Candy Outside Target (Watch)
- Chris Brown Responds to Recent Exits from ‘People Claiming to Be My Team’
- Shirley Caesar Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame (Watch Full Ceremony)
- Tyrese Gibson Back as Robert Epps for ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’
- Nate Parker to Receive Sundance Institute’s Vanguard Award
- Idris Elba, Freida Pinto Set for John Ridley’s Showtime Miniseries ‘Guerrilla’
- Serena Williams Advances to Second Round at Wimbledon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here