*Since being a standout sister on “Braxton Family Values,” Tamar Braxton has won the hearts of fans everywhere. From her exuberant personality and diva style, she’s all that and a bag of low-fat potato chips.
But what most don’t know is that she’s come a long way and has dealt with issues of her own, including abusive relationships and skin disease.
“I’ve always had it, since I was a young girl,” she offers about her struggles with vitiligo. “It’s not as bad as others because everybody has it differently, but I’ve certainly had mine diagnosed. That’s why I tan. People say, ‘You bleach your skin!’ But I tan just so I can have a better tone on my skin, boo!…But when you get diagnosed with a skin disorder, it’s hard. It does weigh on your self-esteem. It really does. But I’m done defending that. I’m not bleaching my skin and if I was bleaching my skin and I felt like saying so, I would, but for the record, I am not.”
There you have it. Tamar is not getting whiter by bleaching.
As far as her past relationships, the singer has come a long way to find the man who loves her for real.
“I haven’t always been vocal about my feelings, especially in a relationship. Now, I make sure that I’m very vocal about my feelings, everybody knows how I feel. Sometimes it’s over the top and most of the time it’s ‘Team Too-Much,’” she laughs, “But I have to do a lot. (I was) a shy person who had self-esteem issues trying to figure it out — now, I’ve gotten over my hangovers. You say, I’m comfortable and confident, it took a long time to get there. Maybe like a year or so before Braxton Family Values, I wasn’t that person. I was faking it til I make it, pretty much. I didn’t feel like I was beautiful. I didn’t feel like I deserved things. I didn’t feel like I could stand in a room and speak or even sing and have people who wanted to listen.” Tamar credits her husband with helping her get over somes of these issues.
Check out the full interview at Ebony.
- Black Confederate Flag Defender Believes Slavery was a ‘Choice’ (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Black Lives Matter Interview with Lucy McBath
- Congresswoman Waters Applauds U.S.-Cuba Agreement to Open Embassies
- A Camping Checklist for the Prepared Parent
- Surprise! Prince Drops New Sexy Song: 'HardRockLover' (LISTEN)
- The Drought and Fireworks!
- Jordan Flaherty Explores Racial and Economic Justice Issues in New Documentary Series
- THE (07-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- See the Highly Anticipated WGN Thriller 'Underground' at the 2015 Essence Festival with Jurnee Smollett and Show's Other Stars
- OWN's 'The Haves and the Have Nots' Set Ratings Records
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here