*Tavis Smiley is putting the Obama administration on blast, accusing some members of the group of intimidation.
The PBS talk show host told the Associated Press that some of his sponsors were pressured to drop Smiley during his anti-poverty campaign.
AP’s Lynn Elber reported, “Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the PBS show’s underwriter since the start, has ‘consistently stood by our side,’ said a Smiley spokeswoman. But others have dropped out or donated money to his projects on the condition of privacy because they’ve heard from a displeased White House, according to Smiley.”
But Smiley’s camp didn’t offer evidence or names of underwriters who were pressured.
Leshelle V. Sargent, a spokeswoman for Smiley, told Journal-isms, “After 10 years and 2,000 shows on PBS, Mr. Smiley appreciates all of his underwriters. We are uninterested in subjecting former, present or future supporters to further scrutiny.”
Smiley has been a political martyr of sorts since publicly criticizing the president, along with co-hort, Prof. Cornel West.
He told AP, “This administration does not like to be criticized. And the irony of it is, there’s nothing I have tried to hold the president accountable on that my white progressive colleagues have not. They’re labeled courageous critics, but if I say it, I’m an ‘Obama critic.’ There’s race at play in the very question.”
Smiley has built his career upon social political issues, highlighting the true to life struggles of racial America. Since Obama was elected to office, Smiley’s focus and platform has gained more attention.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here