*Tavis Smiley is putting the Obama administration on blast, accusing some members of the group of intimidation.
The PBS talk show host told the Associated Press that some of his sponsors were pressured to drop Smiley during his anti-poverty campaign.
AP’s Lynn Elber reported, “Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the PBS show’s underwriter since the start, has ‘consistently stood by our side,’ said a Smiley spokeswoman. But others have dropped out or donated money to his projects on the condition of privacy because they’ve heard from a displeased White House, according to Smiley.”
But Smiley’s camp didn’t offer evidence or names of underwriters who were pressured.
Leshelle V. Sargent, a spokeswoman for Smiley, told Journal-isms, “After 10 years and 2,000 shows on PBS, Mr. Smiley appreciates all of his underwriters. We are uninterested in subjecting former, present or future supporters to further scrutiny.”
Smiley has been a political martyr of sorts since publicly criticizing the president, along with co-hort, Prof. Cornel West.
He told AP, “This administration does not like to be criticized. And the irony of it is, there’s nothing I have tried to hold the president accountable on that my white progressive colleagues have not. They’re labeled courageous critics, but if I say it, I’m an ‘Obama critic.’ There’s race at play in the very question.”
Smiley has built his career upon social political issues, highlighting the true to life struggles of racial America. Since Obama was elected to office, Smiley’s focus and platform has gained more attention.
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here