*The April 2009 hijacking of container ship MV Maersk Alabama by four Somali pirates has been made into a film starring Tom Hanks as the vessel’s kidnapped captain Richard Phillips.
Due this fall, Columbia’s “Captain Phillips” will detail how the Massachusetts native and his crew of 20 became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years, and how Phillips ended up on a lifeboat with three of the gunmen when he was rescued by US Navy Seals – who shot all three pirates dead during a standoff.
“It’s a very particular skill set that Richard Phillips has,” Hanks told us during a Skyped press conference with reporters. “It’s a world unknown to all of us because we just assume that containers full of goods easily make it from one place to another as part of regular commerce. But the juggling act that a guy like Captain Phillips has to do in the course of getting from Abu Dhabi to Djibouti, down to Mombasa is actually a very impressive amount of work.”
Below, Hanks explains how director Paul Greengrass took steps to ensure that his actors truly experienced every emotion that ran through Phillips and his crew as they watched the Somali pirates close in on the ship.
Columbia Pictures will release “Captain Phillips” on Oct. 11, 2013. View the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Behind the Scenes of Janet Jackson’s New Video for ‘Dammn Baby’ (Watch)
- #AirbnbWhileBlack Exposes Racism Faced by Black Renters
- ‘Dear White People’ to Become a Netflix Series
- Trump Tweets Pic of Himself Eating Taco for Cinco de Mayo; Writes ‘I Love Hispanics!’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here