If only they could’ve found a way to put Madea in it maybe it woulda had enough juice to be a winner at the box office.
Speaking of which, “Tyler Perry Presents: Peeples” took in only $4.8 million, well below expectations for a film with low expectations to begin with, according to theWrap.
Kerry Washington, who stars in the ABC TV drama “Scandal,” starred in the film along with Craig Robinson and David Alan Grier. Tina Gordon Chism made her directorial debut on “Peeples,” an African-American meet-the-parents comedy set in the Hamptons.
Perry’s films have made more than $400 million globally and on average opened to more than $20 million in the U.S., but he only produced on this project. Most of the time, he directs and often stars, frequently as his female alter ego Madea.
Oh well. On the upside, the film’s production costs only set Perry and distributor Lionsgate back $15 million.
Kerry Washington, however, is still a winner in Hollywood. She of course had a key role in the smash “Django Unchained” and her ABC series, “Scandal'” has been renewed for another season.
In case you’re wondering who came out on top in this past weekend’s box office, here’s the rankings according to Hollywood.com:
1. “Iron Man 3,” $72.5 million ($89.3 million international).
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $51.1 million.
3. “Pain and Gain,” $5 million.
4. “Peeples,” $4.9 million.
5. “42,” $4.7 million.
6. “Oblivion,” $3.9 million ($11.7 million international).
7. “The Croods,” $3.6 million ($17.3 million international).
8. “The Big Wedding,” $2.5 million ($2 million international).
9. “Mud,” $2.4 million.
10. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” $802,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Olympics-Bound Gymnast Simone Biles Can Not Be Stopped (Watch)
- Judge Joe Brown Banned from Practicing Law in Tennessee
- DMX Joins Keke Palmer, Aunjanue Ellis in Indie Film ‘Pimp’
- Kanye West Expands Adidas Partnership to Include Line of Apparel, Accessories
- Willow Smith: The New Face of Chanel Eyewear (Pics & Video)
- Father of Orlando Shooting Victim Refuses to Claim Son's Body
- Russell Simmons' All Def Digital Lands New $10M in Financing
- Daniel Craig In Talks to Join Halle Berry in LA Riots Drama ‘Kings’
- Theodore 'Ted' Myles Terry's 'Turn Me Loose' (Life & Times of Dick Gregory) a Success
- Ringside Update/ Thurman vs Porter A Clash of Young Titans
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here