If only they could’ve found a way to put Madea in it maybe it woulda had enough juice to be a winner at the box office.
Speaking of which, “Tyler Perry Presents: Peeples” took in only $4.8 million, well below expectations for a film with low expectations to begin with, according to theWrap.
Kerry Washington, who stars in the ABC TV drama “Scandal,” starred in the film along with Craig Robinson and David Alan Grier. Tina Gordon Chism made her directorial debut on “Peeples,” an African-American meet-the-parents comedy set in the Hamptons.
Perry’s films have made more than $400 million globally and on average opened to more than $20 million in the U.S., but he only produced on this project. Most of the time, he directs and often stars, frequently as his female alter ego Madea.
Oh well. On the upside, the film’s production costs only set Perry and distributor Lionsgate back $15 million.
Kerry Washington, however, is still a winner in Hollywood. She of course had a key role in the smash “Django Unchained” and her ABC series, “Scandal'” has been renewed for another season.
In case you’re wondering who came out on top in this past weekend’s box office, here’s the rankings according to Hollywood.com:
1. “Iron Man 3,” $72.5 million ($89.3 million international).
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $51.1 million.
3. “Pain and Gain,” $5 million.
4. “Peeples,” $4.9 million.
5. “42,” $4.7 million.
6. “Oblivion,” $3.9 million ($11.7 million international).
7. “The Croods,” $3.6 million ($17.3 million international).
8. “The Big Wedding,” $2.5 million ($2 million international).
9. “Mud,” $2.4 million.
10. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” $802,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here