If only they could’ve found a way to put Madea in it maybe it woulda had enough juice to be a winner at the box office.
Speaking of which, “Tyler Perry Presents: Peeples” took in only $4.8 million, well below expectations for a film with low expectations to begin with, according to theWrap.
Kerry Washington, who stars in the ABC TV drama “Scandal,” starred in the film along with Craig Robinson and David Alan Grier. Tina Gordon Chism made her directorial debut on “Peeples,” an African-American meet-the-parents comedy set in the Hamptons.
Perry’s films have made more than $400 million globally and on average opened to more than $20 million in the U.S., but he only produced on this project. Most of the time, he directs and often stars, frequently as his female alter ego Madea.
Oh well. On the upside, the film’s production costs only set Perry and distributor Lionsgate back $15 million.
Kerry Washington, however, is still a winner in Hollywood. She of course had a key role in the smash “Django Unchained” and her ABC series, “Scandal'” has been renewed for another season.
In case you’re wondering who came out on top in this past weekend’s box office, here’s the rankings according to Hollywood.com:
1. “Iron Man 3,” $72.5 million ($89.3 million international).
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $51.1 million.
3. “Pain and Gain,” $5 million.
4. “Peeples,” $4.9 million.
5. “42,” $4.7 million.
6. “Oblivion,” $3.9 million ($11.7 million international).
7. “The Croods,” $3.6 million ($17.3 million international).
8. “The Big Wedding,” $2.5 million ($2 million international).
9. “Mud,” $2.4 million.
10. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” $802,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Amber Rose to Host Weekly VH1 Talk Show Produced by Dr. Phil
- NFL Vet Dana Stubblefield Charged With Raping Developmentally Disabled Woman
- Little Richard Still Alive Despite Internet Rumors...And Praising Prince
- Chris Brown: New Single ‘Grass Ain’t Greener’ Coming May 5
- 911 Records in Prince Probe Show June 2011 Call over Cocaine Concern (Report)
- Blac Chyna Robbed, Threatens to Sue if Sex Tape with Tyga Leaks
- Chamique Holdsclaw Talks Mind/Game Documentary, Personal Struggle With Mental Illness
- Twitter Trolls React to Old Navy Ad Featuring Interracial Family
- Arsenio Hall Denies Sinead O’Connor's Prince Drug Claim
- Parents, Students Stunned as 2,700 Detroit Teachers 'Call in Sick'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here