If only they could’ve found a way to put Madea in it maybe it woulda had enough juice to be a winner at the box office.
Speaking of which, “Tyler Perry Presents: Peeples” took in only $4.8 million, well below expectations for a film with low expectations to begin with, according to theWrap.
Kerry Washington, who stars in the ABC TV drama “Scandal,” starred in the film along with Craig Robinson and David Alan Grier. Tina Gordon Chism made her directorial debut on “Peeples,” an African-American meet-the-parents comedy set in the Hamptons.
Perry’s films have made more than $400 million globally and on average opened to more than $20 million in the U.S., but he only produced on this project. Most of the time, he directs and often stars, frequently as his female alter ego Madea.
Oh well. On the upside, the film’s production costs only set Perry and distributor Lionsgate back $15 million.
Kerry Washington, however, is still a winner in Hollywood. She of course had a key role in the smash “Django Unchained” and her ABC series, “Scandal'” has been renewed for another season.
In case you’re wondering who came out on top in this past weekend’s box office, here’s the rankings according to Hollywood.com:
1. “Iron Man 3,” $72.5 million ($89.3 million international).
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $51.1 million.
3. “Pain and Gain,” $5 million.
4. “Peeples,” $4.9 million.
5. “42,” $4.7 million.
6. “Oblivion,” $3.9 million ($11.7 million international).
7. “The Croods,” $3.6 million ($17.3 million international).
8. “The Big Wedding,” $2.5 million ($2 million international).
9. “Mud,” $2.4 million.
10. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” $802,000.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here