If only they could’ve found a way to put Madea in it maybe it woulda had enough juice to be a winner at the box office.
Speaking of which, “Tyler Perry Presents: Peeples” took in only $4.8 million, well below expectations for a film with low expectations to begin with, according to theWrap.
Kerry Washington, who stars in the ABC TV drama “Scandal,” starred in the film along with Craig Robinson and David Alan Grier. Tina Gordon Chism made her directorial debut on “Peeples,” an African-American meet-the-parents comedy set in the Hamptons.
Perry’s films have made more than $400 million globally and on average opened to more than $20 million in the U.S., but he only produced on this project. Most of the time, he directs and often stars, frequently as his female alter ego Madea.
Oh well. On the upside, the film’s production costs only set Perry and distributor Lionsgate back $15 million.
Kerry Washington, however, is still a winner in Hollywood. She of course had a key role in the smash “Django Unchained” and her ABC series, “Scandal'” has been renewed for another season.
In case you’re wondering who came out on top in this past weekend’s box office, here’s the rankings according to Hollywood.com:
1. “Iron Man 3,” $72.5 million ($89.3 million international).
2. “The Great Gatsby,” $51.1 million.
3. “Pain and Gain,” $5 million.
4. “Peeples,” $4.9 million.
5. “42,” $4.7 million.
6. “Oblivion,” $3.9 million ($11.7 million international).
7. “The Croods,” $3.6 million ($17.3 million international).
8. “The Big Wedding,” $2.5 million ($2 million international).
9. “Mud,” $2.4 million.
10. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” $802,000.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here