*Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of doubles play at the French Open today – right before they were scheduled to play a match.
According to The Associated Press, the sisters were supposed to compete in doubles at Roland Garros for the first time since 2010 after receiving a wild card from the tournament, but they suddenly withdrew. No reason was given by the tournament at press time.
Venus said she was bothered by pain in her back during a three-set loss in singles Sunday. Serena, meanwhile, is currently into the third round of singles play.
They have won a total of 13 Grand Slam trophies in women’s doubles, including at the French Open in 1999 and 2010.
The sisters have played in only one doubles tournament this season, losing to eventual champions Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the Australian Open quarterfinals in January.
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts - Black Stars of the Great White Way (Part I)
- Russell Wilson Says God Has Anointed Him and Ciara
- 'WAGS' Star Autumn Ajirotutu on Why She’s Not a Gold-Digger
- Did Enquirer Pay Nick Gordon $40K to Visit Bobbi Kristina’s Grave?
- George Zimmerman Calls Pres. Obama ‘Ignorant Baboon’ in Twitter Rant Over WDBJ Shootings
- Former NBA Star Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) Dies at 58
- Chris Brown Tattoos Huge Bull on Other Side of his Head
- Judge Joe Brown in Jail for Contempt of Court (Listen to Him Challenge the Judge)
- Christina Milian Mourns Death of Newborn Nephew
- Spike Lee to Receive Honorary Academy Award
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here