*Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of doubles play at the French Open today – right before they were scheduled to play a match.
According to The Associated Press, the sisters were supposed to compete in doubles at Roland Garros for the first time since 2010 after receiving a wild card from the tournament, but they suddenly withdrew. No reason was given by the tournament at press time.
Venus said she was bothered by pain in her back during a three-set loss in singles Sunday. Serena, meanwhile, is currently into the third round of singles play.
They have won a total of 13 Grand Slam trophies in women’s doubles, including at the French Open in 1999 and 2010.
The sisters have played in only one doubles tournament this season, losing to eventual champions Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the Australian Open quarterfinals in January.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Look! Patti LaBelle and James Wright Chanel Together Eatin', Dancin & Singin' (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Thousands of Protesters Disrupt Black Friday in Chicago
- Toronto Raptors Milk ‘Hotline Bling’ During Drake Night (Video)
- Corey Morgan Charged in Brutal Killing of 9-Year-Old Tyshawn Lee
- Black Friday Fights 2015 - The Best Of...So Far (Watch)
- Traci Braxton on 'The Real' to Deny Beef with Tamar (WATCH)
- Romeo Miller Responds to Mother Suing Him with Emotional Letter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here