*Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of doubles play at the French Open today – right before they were scheduled to play a match.
According to The Associated Press, the sisters were supposed to compete in doubles at Roland Garros for the first time since 2010 after receiving a wild card from the tournament, but they suddenly withdrew. No reason was given by the tournament at press time.
Venus said she was bothered by pain in her back during a three-set loss in singles Sunday. Serena, meanwhile, is currently into the third round of singles play.
They have won a total of 13 Grand Slam trophies in women’s doubles, including at the French Open in 1999 and 2010.
The sisters have played in only one doubles tournament this season, losing to eventual champions Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci in the Australian Open quarterfinals in January.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Zoe Saldana to 'Nina' Critics: 'Don’t Address Me with Such Disdain'
- Serena Williams Confesses She Was Sore After Twerking For Beyonce
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Glam-Horror 'The Neon Demon' is a 'Celebration of Narcissism'
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here