*Actor and activist Larenz Tate, whose credits include the television show “Rescue Me” and films such as “Ray,” “Love Jones”, “Crash” and “Menace II Society” will be the keynote speaker (9 a.m.) for the 6th Annual Fatherhood Solutions Conference hosted by The Children’s Institute (CII).
Taking place Friday, June 14 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Renaissance Los Angeles Hotel, the Project Fatherhood SM conference is at the heart of “Strengthening Relationships Between Fathers and their At-Risk Children,” and joins nationally recognized experts, parents, and the community for a daylong exploration of the most important issues related to fatherhood and healthy marriage in an effort to discover new ways to build and strengthen relationships between fathers and their children. Tate will speak to an audience of over 400 Los Angeles based community service providers including probation officers, social workers, policy advocates, government representatives, mental health professionals, public health professionals, and concerned community members on the importance of fathers in underserved communities from a specialized and culturally sensitive perspective. For more information, please call (213) 260-7604.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 24 million children in America — one out of three — live in biological father-absent homes, creating a “father factor” in nearly all of the social issues facing America today including poverty, emotional and behavioral problems, maternal and child health, education, crime, incarceration, childhood obesity, teenage pregnancy and sexual activity, child abuse, and drug and alcohol abuse.
Now in its sixth year, the Fatherhood Solutions conference is a project of the CII’s Project Fatherhood SM, a nationally-recognized program that gives fathers the opportunity to play a meaningful role in their children’s lives. The program recently opened offices in Monterey Park Los Angeles’ Edmund D. Edelman Children’s Court and is now available to fathers involved in parenting and custody. Additionally, the CII has successfully offered specialized and culturally relative and sensitive services for fathers in Watts’ Jordan Downs Housing Projects and in South Los Angeles near the intersection of Western Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
According to CII Project Fatherhood SM director Alan-Michael Graves, the program serves at-risk children, youth and families throughout Los Angeles County. “Over the past few years we’ve grown tremendously as the need has grown in our communities,” explains Graves. “We have centers in Watts and in the San Pedro/Long Beach area as well as 11 early childhood centers and more than 60 family child care homes throughout the County.”
Topics to be explored this year are:
- Working with Fathers: Building Skills for Practitioners
- The Partnering of DV and Fatherhood Programs
- Women in the Fatherhood Movement
- Mastering the Co-Parenting Conflict
- The Broken Man
- Make Room for Dad
- Working with Men in Group Settings
- Undoing Racism: Working with Fathers of Color in Child Welfare Systems
- Legal Advocacy with Quality and Affordable Legal Services for Fathers
- Child Support 101: Understanding How Child Support Really Works
- Restoring and Rebuilding Relationships Through Supervised Visitation
- We Are What We See: The Importance of Role Models in Diverse Communities
- PF Model: Combining Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Relationships
- Working with Men and Boys of Color (Community Panel)
A complete schedule including topics and speakers can be found online at http://www.childrensinstitute.org/events/details/95.
About The Children’s Institute
CII specializes in working with children, youth and families who have been affected by trauma. Using an integrated service model designed to serve the whole child as well as the entire family, Project Fatherhood SM focuses on the importance of being a father and helping other men, especially Black and Latino men become better fathers in their communities.
For more information on this year’s conference including how to attend, please call (213) 260-7604 or visit http://www.childrensinstitute.org.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here