*Akon’s is using his star power to harness some new talent in an area most Black artists don’t touch.
On Saturday Henderson will race at the NASCAR Pro Series East at Langley Speedway in Virginia.
“I got into motorsports because I’ve always had a love for cars. Cars were always something that gave me that excitement and that rush for life,” said Akon. “That was what really motivated me to get into motorsports.”
Besides that, NASCAR’s got a lot of money invested. According to Forbes, some of the leading teams are worth in the 100s of millions. Hendrick Motorsports is currently worth the sports most valuable team with a net worth of $357 million.
Did Jay Z think of this yet?
Akon’s goal is to encourage more people of color to get more involved with this multimillion-dollar sport in various ways including investing and behind the wheel.
With his partnership with Joe, Akon’s headed in the right direction.
“Akon Motorsports is bringing forth the best driver you have ever seen in your life, that’s right I’m representing Joe Henderson III with a bang. Make sure you check him out,” the mogul said.
Joe Henderson III is a trailblazer and according to industry insiders, has the ability to be a monumental figure, in a sport where African-American men are scarce.
NASCAR has seen color in the past and currently includes the franchise’s first and only African American female Tia Norfleet. Also, this year, NASCAR brought in its fourth African American driver, Darrell Wallace Jr.
Below is Akon Motorsports & Champion Development & Marketing first racecar driver, Joe Henderson III’s racing schedule for 2013:
June 22 Langley speedway
July 13 Columbus speedway
August 2 Iowa speedway
September 2 Greenville speedway
September 21 new Hampshire
September 27 Dover
August 21 bristol
Sept. 8 Iowa
Sept. 13 Chicagoland
Oct. 26 martinsville
Nov.1 Texas speedway
Nov. 8 Phoenix speedway
Aug. 23 Bristol
Aug. 31 Atlanta
Sept. 14 Chicagoland
Oct. 11 Charlotte
Nov. 2 Texas speedway
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice-T & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here