*A New Orleans bridge has become a makeshift memorial adorned with flower bouquets marking the spot where this weekend a car that contained what police believe is the body of missing elementary school teacher Terrilynn Monette was pulled from the bayou.
Although Monette, 26, hasn’t been officially identified, and an autopsy will be conducted by a coroner, police said the car and license plate matched her missing car, which was found submerged in Bayou St. John close to a bridge at the corner of Wisner Boulevard and Harrison Avenue, the Times-Picayune reported.
Divers using sonar found the vehicle with a body in the driver’s seat on Saturday. Monette had been missing since March 2, when she was seen leaving a bar in her black 2012 Honda Accord after a night spent celebrating her nomination as “Teacher of the Year” in her district.
Members of Monette’s family watched the grim discovery and clung to one another as the car was removed from the water, according to the Times-Picayune report.
“We’re very upset right now,” Monette’s father, Terry, told the newspaper. Added family friend Demetria Isidore: “We were out here and they searched these waters the first week. We never thought it would end this way.”
Monette, a native of Long Beach, Calif., who graduated from Cal State San Bernadino, had reportedly been “cut off” by a bartender at Parlay’s, a bar in the Lakeview section of the city when she was last seen, police told CNN. She had moved to New Orleans as a part of a teaching program to bring stronger educators to impoverished zones within the city.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Reacts to ‘The Real’ Firing on Next ‘Braxton Family Values’ (Teaser)
- Activist PFK Boom Demands Pastor Jamal Bryant 'Get the F*ck Out' of Baltimore (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here