*Bruno Mars took a moment to thank fans for their well wishes as he continues to cope with the sudden loss of his mother, Bernadette Hernandez.
“So thankful for all the love during the most difficult time in my life,” he tweeted early Friday morning. “I’ll be back on my feet again soon. That’s what mom wants, she told me.”
Hernandez, 55, died on June 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii of a brain aneurysm. A former hula dancer and singer from the Philippines, she encouraged her son to pursue his musical dreams.
Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, is named after his father, a Puerto Rican Jewish percussionist from Brooklyn. The Bruno nickname emerged when the singer was a toddler, because he resembled a famous wrestler named Bruno Sammartino.
He took on the name Mars out of frustration. In an interview with GQ, the pop star said he had to change his name to literally sound like he was from another planet so record labels would stop trying to make him the next Enrique Iglesias.
In October 2010, when Bruno was promoting his debut album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” he spoke to us about his experiences growing up with parents as entertainers. Listen below.
Bruno Mars’ “Moonshine Jungle” tour kicks off June 22 in Washington DC.
- Celebs You Wish You Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here