*Bruno Mars took a moment to thank fans for their well wishes as he continues to cope with the sudden loss of his mother, Bernadette Hernandez.
“So thankful for all the love during the most difficult time in my life,” he tweeted early Friday morning. “I’ll be back on my feet again soon. That’s what mom wants, she told me.”
Hernandez, 55, died on June 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii of a brain aneurysm. A former hula dancer and singer from the Philippines, she encouraged her son to pursue his musical dreams.
Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, is named after his father, a Puerto Rican Jewish percussionist from Brooklyn. The Bruno nickname emerged when the singer was a toddler, because he resembled a famous wrestler named Bruno Sammartino.
He took on the name Mars out of frustration. In an interview with GQ, the pop star said he had to change his name to literally sound like he was from another planet so record labels would stop trying to make him the next Enrique Iglesias.
In October 2010, when Bruno was promoting his debut album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” he spoke to us about his experiences growing up with parents as entertainers. Listen below.
Bruno Mars’ “Moonshine Jungle” tour kicks off June 22 in Washington DC.
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Watch Killing)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Jaden Smith Drops Video for New Track ‘Scarface’ (Watch)
- Boy, 8, Youngest to Receive Successful Double Hand Transplant (Watch)
- Woman in China Pushes Child to Safety Before Falling to Her Death on Escalator (Video)
- Future Scores First No. 1 Album with ‘DS2’; Tyrese's 'Black Rose' No. 3
- Sherri Shepherd Returning to 'The View' as Contributor
- Drake Claps Back at Meek Mill in ‘Back to Back’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here