*Bruno Mars took a moment to thank fans for their well wishes as he continues to cope with the sudden loss of his mother, Bernadette Hernandez.
“So thankful for all the love during the most difficult time in my life,” he tweeted early Friday morning. “I’ll be back on my feet again soon. That’s what mom wants, she told me.”
Hernandez, 55, died on June 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii of a brain aneurysm. A former hula dancer and singer from the Philippines, she encouraged her son to pursue his musical dreams.
Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, is named after his father, a Puerto Rican Jewish percussionist from Brooklyn. The Bruno nickname emerged when the singer was a toddler, because he resembled a famous wrestler named Bruno Sammartino.
He took on the name Mars out of frustration. In an interview with GQ, the pop star said he had to change his name to literally sound like he was from another planet so record labels would stop trying to make him the next Enrique Iglesias.
In October 2010, when Bruno was promoting his debut album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” he spoke to us about his experiences growing up with parents as entertainers. Listen below.
Bruno Mars’ “Moonshine Jungle” tour kicks off June 22 in Washington DC.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here