*Bruno Mars took a moment to thank fans for their well wishes as he continues to cope with the sudden loss of his mother, Bernadette Hernandez.
“So thankful for all the love during the most difficult time in my life,” he tweeted early Friday morning. “I’ll be back on my feet again soon. That’s what mom wants, she told me.”
Hernandez, 55, died on June 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii of a brain aneurysm. A former hula dancer and singer from the Philippines, she encouraged her son to pursue his musical dreams.
Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, is named after his father, a Puerto Rican Jewish percussionist from Brooklyn. The Bruno nickname emerged when the singer was a toddler, because he resembled a famous wrestler named Bruno Sammartino.
He took on the name Mars out of frustration. In an interview with GQ, the pop star said he had to change his name to literally sound like he was from another planet so record labels would stop trying to make him the next Enrique Iglesias.
In October 2010, when Bruno was promoting his debut album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” he spoke to us about his experiences growing up with parents as entertainers. Listen below.
Bruno Mars’ “Moonshine Jungle” tour kicks off June 22 in Washington DC.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steve Harvey's Decepti-Date Segment is An #EpicFail
- SNL's 'The Day Beyoncé Turned Black' is Beyond Hilarious (WATCH)
- Video Shows Raven-Symone Didn't Get 'Slapped Upside the Chest' (WATCH)
- VIDEO: Who will President Obama Pick to Replace Justice Scalia?
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here