*Bruno Mars took a moment to thank fans for their well wishes as he continues to cope with the sudden loss of his mother, Bernadette Hernandez.
“So thankful for all the love during the most difficult time in my life,” he tweeted early Friday morning. “I’ll be back on my feet again soon. That’s what mom wants, she told me.”
Hernandez, 55, died on June 1, in Honolulu, Hawaii of a brain aneurysm. A former hula dancer and singer from the Philippines, she encouraged her son to pursue his musical dreams.
Mars, born Peter Gene Hernandez, is named after his father, a Puerto Rican Jewish percussionist from Brooklyn. The Bruno nickname emerged when the singer was a toddler, because he resembled a famous wrestler named Bruno Sammartino.
He took on the name Mars out of frustration. In an interview with GQ, the pop star said he had to change his name to literally sound like he was from another planet so record labels would stop trying to make him the next Enrique Iglesias.
In October 2010, when Bruno was promoting his debut album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” he spoke to us about his experiences growing up with parents as entertainers. Listen below.
Bruno Mars’ “Moonshine Jungle” tour kicks off June 22 in Washington DC.
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Easily Distracted? 5 Ways to Focus Better at the Office
- Urban Movie Channel Launches 'Fall Out Fridays' Comedy Specials
- Janet Jackson Launches New Unbreakable Diamonds Collection
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here