*With Paula Deen’s racism scandal in the headlines, Ciara has defended her use of the N-word in her songs – insisting as an African American she uses it in a context different than a racist would.
“As an entertainer you have fun and it’s all about the context it’s used in,” she told “Access Hollywood Live” on Tuesday. “I am an African-American woman, so I can identify with that word in different ways.
“I know where I’m coming from… If we have fun with it and you can understand where it’s coming from, then you can probably receive it in that way.”
She added, “I have the power to speak in a light-hearted way about it… (but) I cannot hear another person of another race saying, ‘You this and you that.’ It’s all about how you say it… You know when you’re using it one way.”
Also on “Access Hollywood Live” was “Devious Maids” actress Dania Ramirez. The Latina star said she has also used the N-word with friends.
“I don’t see the point in allowing certain people to be able to use it and then others to not be able to use it,” she said on Tuesday’s show.
“I have used it,” she admitted. “I’ve actually worn it one time down the red carpet … it was printed on a shirt. This was back when Nas was coming out with his album, he titled it the ‘N-Word.’”
The actress explained that she hopes people begin speaking more freely about the use of the word.
“And for me it was like, let’s put it out in the forefront,” she continued. “If it’s really uncomfortable, let’s not use it at all.”
For Dania, using the word also depends on the context.
“I would say it to my friends. I have African-American friends. I don’t see a problem with it. I’ve used it talking to Spike Lee, who I worked with,” she told hosts Billy Bush and Kit Hoover.
She added: “For me it’s about, if there’s really a problem with it then it shouldn’t be a part of our vocabulary, period. …Who knows, there’s always a problem with the way people use things depending on how you’re using it.”
- Russell Westbrook's Weekend Plans Include Wedding to Girlfriend
- Flanagan’s Family Releases Statement in Aftermath of Virginia Shooting (WATCH)
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Karen Clark Sheard is ‘Destined to Win’; New Album Debuts at #2
- A Hate Crime is a Hate Crime No Matter the Color of the Perpetrator
- EUR Tech Review: Samsung 2015: The Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Plus (VIDEO)
- The Truth About Coffee and the Diabetes Risk
- THE (08-28-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Usain Bolt Mowed Down by Segway (WATCH)
- Debbie Allen Dance Academy Offers scholarship to an ‘Uplifting Minds II’ Talent on Saturday October 24
- Let's Get Direct! Fail to Win!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here