*With Paula Deen’s racism scandal in the headlines, Ciara has defended her use of the N-word in her songs – insisting as an African American she uses it in a context different than a racist would.
“As an entertainer you have fun and it’s all about the context it’s used in,” she told “Access Hollywood Live” on Tuesday. “I am an African-American woman, so I can identify with that word in different ways.
“I know where I’m coming from… If we have fun with it and you can understand where it’s coming from, then you can probably receive it in that way.”
She added, “I have the power to speak in a light-hearted way about it… (but) I cannot hear another person of another race saying, ‘You this and you that.’ It’s all about how you say it… You know when you’re using it one way.”
Also on “Access Hollywood Live” was “Devious Maids” actress Dania Ramirez. The Latina star said she has also used the N-word with friends.
“I don’t see the point in allowing certain people to be able to use it and then others to not be able to use it,” she said on Tuesday’s show.
“I have used it,” she admitted. “I’ve actually worn it one time down the red carpet … it was printed on a shirt. This was back when Nas was coming out with his album, he titled it the ‘N-Word.’”
The actress explained that she hopes people begin speaking more freely about the use of the word.
“And for me it was like, let’s put it out in the forefront,” she continued. “If it’s really uncomfortable, let’s not use it at all.”
For Dania, using the word also depends on the context.
“I would say it to my friends. I have African-American friends. I don’t see a problem with it. I’ve used it talking to Spike Lee, who I worked with,” she told hosts Billy Bush and Kit Hoover.
She added: “For me it’s about, if there’s really a problem with it then it shouldn’t be a part of our vocabulary, period. …Who knows, there’s always a problem with the way people use things depending on how you’re using it.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here