*Producers of the upcoming biopic on Nina Simone recently expressed their desire to have Dr. Dre compose the musical score for the film.
In an interview with theGrio, director Cynthia Mort and producer Gene Kirkwood revealed that they are courting the rapper/producer because of his modern sound.
“If we can get Dr. Dre involved, it could be very modern arrangements,” says Kirkwood. “He’s going to see a rough cut in about a week and a half. I would love for him to do what Quincy [Jones] did with In the Heat of the Night and…with In Cold Blood. Quincy did a lot of scoring. I would love if Dre’s next step would be to score it. That would be a great challenge.”
The filmmakers were perhaps inspired by Baz Luhrmann’s decision to collaborate with Jay-Z for the score of Gatsby. The Roc Nation boss is also said to be writing music for the upcoming film adaptation of Annie, which he is also producing.
Mort and Kirkwood also discussed several other aspects of the biopic in the lengthy interview, including defending their controversial decision to cast Zoe Saldana as Simone.
“To judge and to hijack a creative endeavor before it’s finished is the only thing I take any issue with,” Mort said. ”When it’s done you can say whatever you want.”
- 'Peanuts' Celebrates its First African American Character, Franklin
- Kevin Hart Talks Homophobia & Race with Rolling Stone
- White House Petitioned to Extradite Dentist that Killed 'Cecil the Lion'
- Ciara Takes 'Presidential' Route on Janet Tribute, Mom and Men
- Sad: William ‘Refrigerator’ Perry Auctioning Off Super Bowl Ring
- 'Basketball Wives' Star Tami Roman Suffers Miscarriage
- Bobbi Kristina’s Brother Comes Down on 'Morbid' Twitter Followers
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Tons of Laughs with Vacation; Stars Ed Helms and Christina Applegate as the Griswolds
- James Arawole Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Young Adult Novel on Struggles of Black Teens Living with Type-1 Diabetes
- With Iran Deal in Trouble, White House Reaching Out to Liberals for Support
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here