*Producers of the upcoming biopic on Nina Simone recently expressed their desire to have Dr. Dre compose the musical score for the film.
In an interview with theGrio, director Cynthia Mort and producer Gene Kirkwood revealed that they are courting the rapper/producer because of his modern sound.
“If we can get Dr. Dre involved, it could be very modern arrangements,” says Kirkwood. “He’s going to see a rough cut in about a week and a half. I would love for him to do what Quincy [Jones] did with In the Heat of the Night and…with In Cold Blood. Quincy did a lot of scoring. I would love if Dre’s next step would be to score it. That would be a great challenge.”
The filmmakers were perhaps inspired by Baz Luhrmann’s decision to collaborate with Jay-Z for the score of Gatsby. The Roc Nation boss is also said to be writing music for the upcoming film adaptation of Annie, which he is also producing.
Mort and Kirkwood also discussed several other aspects of the biopic in the lengthy interview, including defending their controversial decision to cast Zoe Saldana as Simone.
“To judge and to hijack a creative endeavor before it’s finished is the only thing I take any issue with,” Mort said. ”When it’s done you can say whatever you want.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Iyanla Vanzant Interview | Black Hollywood Lives' Conversations (Watch)
- Here’s How the Man Murdoch Calls a 'Real Black President' Will Govern
- Karrueche Says Career Suffering Because Of Chris Brown
- Nicki Minaj Ends Interview After 'Rude' Questions About Drake, Meek Mill
- Fox Orders 3 More Episodes of Morris Chestnut’s ‘Rosewood’
- Rupert Murdock...Seriously? You're Going to Define Whose 'Really Black'
- Jennifer Hudson Opens Up About Murder of Family Members
- #BlackTwitter Comes for Piers Morgan Over ‘I Love My Whiteness’
- Matt Barnes: I Was Checking On My Kids, Not Confronting Derek Fisher
- Ben Carson Now Blaming the Holocaust on Gun Control (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here