*The Historically Black Colleges and/or Universities have been a valuable source of education for African American young people as well as many others.
But it appears that the mecca of the HBCU’s is facing a devastating financial downfall that’s sending ripples through the academic community.
Howard University has long been called the “mecca” of the HBCU’s, but the destabilization of the university reported by Renee Higginbotham-Brooks, vice chairwoman of Howard’s board of trustees, to the Chronicle of stated that the university is in “genuine trouble” if something isn’t done to reverse the financial precipice they are teetering on.
Higginbotham-Brooks was forthcoming with information of the mismanagement of the university’s funds in an April 24 letter published by the Chronicle of Higher Education, according to the Washington Post, Higginbotham-Brooks wrote a scathing 3-page report on changes in the management of the university through its board of trustees.
The report in the post also makes note of “outrageous bonuses” that were given to administrators in the face of climbing tuition that faculty reps described as “blatant disregard for the University when our students and their families are struggling to pay .”
“Earlier this year, university officials announced that tuition would increase by 12 percent or $2,300 for the 2012-13 academic year, bringing the total price to $21,450. Graduate tuition increased by 15 percent to a total of $29,090.”
Higginbotham-Brooks in her letter spoke of the financial difficulty as an impending crisis that will snowball.
Read more HERE.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here