The self-described “face-of-Southern cooking” made in deposition she gave concerning a a discrimination suit against her and other defendants including her brother, Bubby Hiers.
However, it doesn’t appear that she’s in any immediate danger of being fired by the network.
“Food Network does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion. We will continue to monitor the situation,” a Food Network spokeswoman said.
In the deposition, as we reported, Deen described wanting to have a “very southern style wedding” for her brother modeled after a restaurant where the “whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men” wearing in white jackets and black bow ties. She also admitted to having used the N word.
Lisa Jackson, an ex-employee, is suing Deen, her brother, and two companies that run the restaurants Deen owns, claims she was subjected to sexist, racist, and violent behavior during the time she worked at one of the restaurants.
Attorneys for Deen and her brother have denied the allegations.
Meanwhile, according to TMZ, …
in a statement sent to them, Paula Deen is using the “I’m from the South” excuse to justify her use of the N-word … saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.:
“During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today.”
“[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America’s South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today.”
“To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. “
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- 'Concrete Park' Collides with 'Blokhedz' at Harvard University
- Yodovo.com Encourages Blacks: Be Loud, Black and Proud
- Josh Childress Opens Up about Why Millionaire Ballers Go Broke
- Janelle Monáe to Wardrobe Critic: ‘I’m Not For Male Consumption’
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here