*J. Cole recently explained his decision to create “Nas Let Down,” one of the songs on his sophomore album, Born Sinner.
The song, which Cole says is his favorite on the album, was created as a way for the Roc Nation rapper to vent about his feelings. In an interview with Fuse, Cole explains that he was in the studio prepping what he thought was the perfect radio song, which turned out to be “Work Out,” his 2011 smash hit. However, when the track was released, he didn’t get the warm reception he had hoped for.
“It was the worst response I’ve ever gotten on any song I’ve ever put out. It was a terrible response,” the North Carolina native revealed. “When I made that song, it was a triumph.”
Nas’ significance in the matter stems from a conversation Cole had with producer No I.D. about the track. Afterwards, No I.D. was honest with Cole, telling him exactly what the Queens emcee thought of “Work Out.”
“I was in the studio with Nas and we was talking about you and he was like, ‘Yo, why did he do that? Why did he put out that song? Don’t he know he’s the one? He ain’t gotta do that,'” he disclosed to Cole.
In response to Nas’ words, Cole went on the defense.
“On the inside I was really hurt because I really idolized Nas,” J. Cole admitted.
The Illmatic creator wasn’t a fan of the record, but plenty others were.
“Eventually ‘Work Out’ became a monster record,” J. Cole stated. “It wouldn’t leave radio, it was a smash, and I’m grateful for that song. But at the time, it was hurtful. I really vented on that song.”
Born Sinner arrives June 18.
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- MTV Wants Kanye West to Host 2016 Video Music Awards (Report)
- Iowa Poll: Ben Carson Suddenly In a Tie With Donald Trump
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here