*J. Cole recently explained his decision to create “Nas Let Down,” one of the songs on his sophomore album, Born Sinner.
The song, which Cole says is his favorite on the album, was created as a way for the Roc Nation rapper to vent about his feelings. In an interview with Fuse, Cole explains that he was in the studio prepping what he thought was the perfect radio song, which turned out to be “Work Out,” his 2011 smash hit. However, when the track was released, he didn’t get the warm reception he had hoped for.
“It was the worst response I’ve ever gotten on any song I’ve ever put out. It was a terrible response,” the North Carolina native revealed. “When I made that song, it was a triumph.”
Nas’ significance in the matter stems from a conversation Cole had with producer No I.D. about the track. Afterwards, No I.D. was honest with Cole, telling him exactly what the Queens emcee thought of “Work Out.”
“I was in the studio with Nas and we was talking about you and he was like, ‘Yo, why did he do that? Why did he put out that song? Don’t he know he’s the one? He ain’t gotta do that,'” he disclosed to Cole.
In response to Nas’ words, Cole went on the defense.
“On the inside I was really hurt because I really idolized Nas,” J. Cole admitted.
The Illmatic creator wasn’t a fan of the record, but plenty others were.
“Eventually ‘Work Out’ became a monster record,” J. Cole stated. “It wouldn’t leave radio, it was a smash, and I’m grateful for that song. But at the time, it was hurtful. I really vented on that song.”
Born Sinner arrives June 18.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here