*J. Cole recently explained his decision to create “Nas Let Down,” one of the songs on his sophomore album, Born Sinner.
The song, which Cole says is his favorite on the album, was created as a way for the Roc Nation rapper to vent about his feelings. In an interview with Fuse, Cole explains that he was in the studio prepping what he thought was the perfect radio song, which turned out to be “Work Out,” his 2011 smash hit. However, when the track was released, he didn’t get the warm reception he had hoped for.
“It was the worst response I’ve ever gotten on any song I’ve ever put out. It was a terrible response,” the North Carolina native revealed. “When I made that song, it was a triumph.”
Nas’ significance in the matter stems from a conversation Cole had with producer No I.D. about the track. Afterwards, No I.D. was honest with Cole, telling him exactly what the Queens emcee thought of “Work Out.”
“I was in the studio with Nas and we was talking about you and he was like, ‘Yo, why did he do that? Why did he put out that song? Don’t he know he’s the one? He ain’t gotta do that,'” he disclosed to Cole.
In response to Nas’ words, Cole went on the defense.
“On the inside I was really hurt because I really idolized Nas,” J. Cole admitted.
The Illmatic creator wasn’t a fan of the record, but plenty others were.
“Eventually ‘Work Out’ became a monster record,” J. Cole stated. “It wouldn’t leave radio, it was a smash, and I’m grateful for that song. But at the time, it was hurtful. I really vented on that song.”
Born Sinner arrives June 18.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Music Exec Salutes Billy Paul & Luther Vandross
- Before Muhammad Ali's Death, Son Says 'Evil Stepmom' Kept Him Prisoner
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here