*Jennifer Lopez has signed on to join Antonio Banderas in the Chilean miner film “The 33,” notes The Hollywood Reporter.
The drama is based on the true story of the 33 Chilean miners who were rescued after being trapped for 69 days in 2010. The film will mark Lopez’s first big-screen role since starring opposite Jason Statham in this year’s action-thriller “Parker.”
Martin Sheen and Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro also have boarded the ensemble film, which was presented to foreign buyers at last month’s Cannes Film Festival. Patricia Riggen (“La Misma Luna”) is directing from a screenplay written by Mikko Alanne and Jose Rivera, with production scheduled to begin in the fall in Chile.
The film is being produced by Mike Medavoy. In 2011 he nabbed the rights to the 33 miners, whose remarkable rescue from the San Jose Mine garnered headlines worldwide. The men were trapped half a mile beneath the Earth’s surface.
Banderas is playing the role of Mario Sepulveda, the charismatic miner nicknamed “Super Mario.” Sheen will play a miner’s father, while Santoro is tackling the role of a trapped miner.
Perhaps this was the role J.Lo found out that she won during a live radio interview last week. Her manager Benny Medina called with the good news while on The Kane Show on Hot 99.5 FM in DC. Watch below.
- THE (07-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Black Comedienne to Compete on New Season of 'Last Comic Standing' (WATCH)
- Brittney Griner Rebounds with Beauty Named Lola
- Jill Scott On Bill Cosby, 'Being a Beloved Black Man Is Dangerous
- Ja Rule Ready to Show Different Side in MTV Family Docuseries 'Follow the Rules'
- REPORT: Congressman Chaka Fattah (Dem/PA) Indicted in Racketeering Case
- Ohio Cop Ray Tensing Indicted for Murder of Samuel DuBose (Video of Shooting)
- Nick Gordon Eyed for Prosecution; Spotted Wearing Bobbi Kristina’s Ring
- Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral to be Private
- Whoopi Defends Elisabeth Hasselbeck Against Racism Claims: 'She Never Asked Me to Pick Cotton' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here