*Jennifer Lopez has signed on to join Antonio Banderas in the Chilean miner film “The 33,” notes The Hollywood Reporter.
The drama is based on the true story of the 33 Chilean miners who were rescued after being trapped for 69 days in 2010. The film will mark Lopez’s first big-screen role since starring opposite Jason Statham in this year’s action-thriller “Parker.”
Martin Sheen and Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro also have boarded the ensemble film, which was presented to foreign buyers at last month’s Cannes Film Festival. Patricia Riggen (“La Misma Luna”) is directing from a screenplay written by Mikko Alanne and Jose Rivera, with production scheduled to begin in the fall in Chile.
The film is being produced by Mike Medavoy. In 2011 he nabbed the rights to the 33 miners, whose remarkable rescue from the San Jose Mine garnered headlines worldwide. The men were trapped half a mile beneath the Earth’s surface.
Banderas is playing the role of Mario Sepulveda, the charismatic miner nicknamed “Super Mario.” Sheen will play a miner’s father, while Santoro is tackling the role of a trapped miner.
Perhaps this was the role J.Lo found out that she won during a live radio interview last week. Her manager Benny Medina called with the good news while on The Kane Show on Hot 99.5 FM in DC. Watch below.
- The Socialist's Journal: The Peril of Being Hillary Clinton
- Gunshots Damage 3 Luxury Cars At Studio Connected with Rick Ross
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here