*Kanye West ended a very muddy three days of music at the Governors Ball on New York’s Randall’s Island, playing never-before-heard songs in front of — and sometimes in the middle off – a hyped crowd on Sunday.
At one point, he told the audience: “This is usually the part of the show where I start complaining about s**t,” referencing his infamous rants that usually accompany his live shows. “I’m just happy to be making music and be able to perform that s**t tonight. Y’know, with this album we ain’t dropped no single to radio, we ain’t got no big campaign s**t. We ain’t even got no cover, we just made some real music.”
“But honestly,” he continued, according to The NME, “…when I listen to the radio, that ain’t where I wanna be no more,” he said. “At this point I don’t give a f*ck about selling a million records, I just want to put out an album this that you can rock to this summer.”
West kicked off his set with the song “Black Skinhead,” with flashing visuals in the background, including the words “not for sale.” He later performed “New Slaves” and the dark vibe of his songs was matched by his stage lighting and style. Both tracks will appear on “Yeezus,” his sixth album, which comes out June 18.
During the set, West debuted “I Am God,” “On Site” and “Clique;” and performed old faves “Stronger,” ”Good Life,” ”Jesus Walks” and “All Falls Down.”
The rapper, who celebrated his 36th birthday on Saturday (June 8), had to spend the special day apart from his pregnant girlfreind Kim Kardashian, as she was reportedly too pregnant to fly out and meet him. Instead, he celebrated in New York with Jay Z, Beyonce and Nas.
Guns N’ Roses headlined the Governors Ball on Saturday. Kings of Leon was to headline Friday but pushed their performance to Saturday because of the bad weather. The Lumineers, the xx, Gary Clark Jr. and the Avett Brothers also performed Sunday.
Watch clips from Kanye’s performance below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here