*Kanye West gave a rare interview to the New York Times in which he talks about a variety of topics to promote his new album “Yeezus,” due June 18.
In the article, titled “Behind Kanye’s Mask,” he opens up on parenthood (he would “do anything to protect my child or my child’s mother),” he disses the Grammys, and he defines himself as “a black new wave artist.”
He also says he has no regrets – not even for the Taylor Swift “interruption” at the MTV Video Music Awards; though he does admit he has “faltered.” There’s an acknowledgement, “I have, as a human being, fallen to peer pressure.”
Early on in the article, West recalls his youthful hoops days. And how his failure to make a team spurred him on to bigger stages. He used a basketball metaphor later in the article. “You know,” he says, “if Michael Jordan can scream at the refs, me as Kanye West, as the Michael Jordan of music, can go and say, ‘This is wrong’.”
Daft Punk are tipped to appear on “Yeezus,” alongside Chief Keef and Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon. The album’s first public spin happened Monday night at New York’s Milk Studios.
In the NY Times feature, West gives his own verdict on his sixth album. “There’s no opera sounds on this new album, you know what I mean? It’s just like, super low-bit. I’m still, like, slightly a snob, but I completely removed my snob heaven songs; I just removed them altogether.”
West presents himself as an artist who clearly feels unbeatable. And he makes everyone acutely aware of this. “I will be the leader of a company that ends up being worth billions of dollars, because I got the answers. I understand culture. I am the nucleus.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Baltimore Rapper Lor Scoota Fatally Shot Leaving ‘Peace in the Streets’ Charity Hoops Game
- Steve Harvey Speechless when Kellie Pickler Almost Falls Trying to Buzz In on ‘Family Feud’ (Watch)
- Suge Knight Sues Chris Brown over Miami Club Shooting
- Maya Angelou Doc ‘And Still I Rise’ Wins AFI Docs Audience Award (Watch a Clip)
- Toni Braxton and Birdman Cozy at the 2016 BET Awards
- Lil Wayne Wanted for Questioning in Scuffle at BET Awards After-Party
- Usher No Likey The Donald: Wears ‘Don’t Trump America’ Jacket
- Venus Williams Wins First Round Match at Wimbledon (Pics, Video)
- Keyshia Cole Sued for Trashing Apt.; Landlord wants $150k Plus (Pics)
- Naturi Naughton Feels Tasha St. Patrick is Relatable, Not Unrealistic
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here