With the forthcoming release of his new movie titled “Let Me Explain,” some people feel Hart has some explaining to do about his wardrobe choices earlier this year.
In the past, Chappelle was very vocal about the industry’s need to emasculate Black male comedians by placing them in dresses for comic relief. During his sit down with Oprah in 2006, Dave said that he was given a dress of his own to wear, but stood up for himself by refusing to wear it. This marked the time in which Chappelle took a break from the entertainment industry and made his infamous flee to Africa.
Now the “Laugh At My Pain” star Kevin Hart has faced the same dilemma. Although having previously stated that he knew where his boundaries were, Hart was seen a couple months ago wearing a dress on “Saturday Night Live.” Some might call this a contradiction and the plight of another Black comedian, but Hart doesn’t see it that way at all.
Hello Beautiful ran into Kevin Hart on the red carpet of his NYC premiere of “Let Me Explain,” and he explained that in a way wearing a dress was progression for him.
Check out what he had to say about challenging his own boundaries.
“I thought it was funny. No one made me do anything. I never do anything that I don’t want to do. It was funny. It was current and the girl Quvenzhane was funny,” said Kevin Hart who was speaking about his character for the skit on “SNL” – where he was seen wearing a blue dress and brown wig. “People who feed into the Black man getting emasculated by wearing dresses are stuck in a world where you’re never going to evolve. No matter what, people grow. If you chose not to grow, you’re staying in a small box with a small mindset. People who win, go outside of that box. It’s very simple when you look at it.”
Well, we all know progression is anything but simple. After taking eight years to come back to comedy, Dave Chappelle is looking to move forward in the industry he previously wanted no part of, which doesn’t seem simple at all.
Although possessing a different opinion on whether being asked to wear a dress is the industry’s attempt to strip Black comedians from their manhood, Kevin Hart had nothing but positive things to say when asked of his feelings on Chappelle’s return to comedy.
“I’m a fan,” he revealed. “I’ll be someone who attends the show.”
Check out the video interview below:
- Rachel Dolezal is Pregnant
- THE (09-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here