With the forthcoming release of his new movie titled “Let Me Explain,” some people feel Hart has some explaining to do about his wardrobe choices earlier this year.
In the past, Chappelle was very vocal about the industry’s need to emasculate Black male comedians by placing them in dresses for comic relief. During his sit down with Oprah in 2006, Dave said that he was given a dress of his own to wear, but stood up for himself by refusing to wear it. This marked the time in which Chappelle took a break from the entertainment industry and made his infamous flee to Africa.
Now the “Laugh At My Pain” star Kevin Hart has faced the same dilemma. Although having previously stated that he knew where his boundaries were, Hart was seen a couple months ago wearing a dress on “Saturday Night Live.” Some might call this a contradiction and the plight of another Black comedian, but Hart doesn’t see it that way at all.
Hello Beautiful ran into Kevin Hart on the red carpet of his NYC premiere of “Let Me Explain,” and he explained that in a way wearing a dress was progression for him.
Check out what he had to say about challenging his own boundaries.
“I thought it was funny. No one made me do anything. I never do anything that I don’t want to do. It was funny. It was current and the girl Quvenzhane was funny,” said Kevin Hart who was speaking about his character for the skit on “SNL” – where he was seen wearing a blue dress and brown wig. “People who feed into the Black man getting emasculated by wearing dresses are stuck in a world where you’re never going to evolve. No matter what, people grow. If you chose not to grow, you’re staying in a small box with a small mindset. People who win, go outside of that box. It’s very simple when you look at it.”
Well, we all know progression is anything but simple. After taking eight years to come back to comedy, Dave Chappelle is looking to move forward in the industry he previously wanted no part of, which doesn’t seem simple at all.
Although possessing a different opinion on whether being asked to wear a dress is the industry’s attempt to strip Black comedians from their manhood, Kevin Hart had nothing but positive things to say when asked of his feelings on Chappelle’s return to comedy.
“I’m a fan,” he revealed. “I’ll be someone who attends the show.”
Check out the video interview below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here