*Lil Wayne has sparked controversy after behind-the-scenes footage from his video for new single “God Bless Amerika” leaked on Monday (June 17) – and showed him stepping all over the American flag. [Scroll down to watch.]
Shot in his hometown of New Orleans, the footage shows Weezy singing in front of the Stars and Stripes, surrounded by a crowd of people from his former neighborhood in Hollygrove. As the flag falls to the ground, the rapper dances across it, a stab in the heart to U.S. Flag Code.
The rapper tweeted this morning that the scene was not meant to be disrespectful.
“I didn’t step on the flag on purpose! It’s a scene in a video where the flag drops behind me and after it drop it’s just there as I perform,” he wrote.
The single, produced by Cool & Dre, appears on Wayne’s newest album, “I Am Not a Human Being II,” which dropped in March and peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200. The track features the lyrics, “My country, ’tis of thee/Sweet land of kill ’em all and let ’em die/So god bless America, this godless America.”
Watch the behind-the-scenes footage below.
The video isn’t the first time the rapper has come into hot water for getting “political.” His track “Georgia…Bush” heavily criticized the Bush administration for its efforts overseas and in Hurricane Katrina relief. More recently, Wayne lost his endorsement with PepsiCo after his lyrics on Future’s “Karate Chop” remix were deemed insensitive towards civil rights icon Emmett Till.
BTW: The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the U.S. flag. Although it’s a U.S. federal law, there is no penalty for failure to comply with it. Listed among the code’s standards of respect is the line: “The flag should never be stepped on.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Music Exec Salutes Billy Paul & Luther Vandross
- Before Muhammad Ali's Death, Son Says 'Evil Stepmom' Kept Him Prisoner
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here