*Donovan McNabb told the NFL Network on Monday that he’s “a fan” of Robert Griffin III and said he was just trying to be a mentor to a younger player when he told The Washington Post that the second-year Washington Redskins quarterback is doing “too much” as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.
“The whole thing about it for me is that I love to talk to the younger guys and just prepare them for what is in front of them,” McNabb said in the telephone interview with the “Total Access” show. He said he hasn’t spoken to Griffin about his comments.
“A lot of them are unaware and when things kind of happen, there is no one to kind of talk to them. I think from my 13 years of experience and watching football all my life, if you can give a helping hand, reach back and give these guys a little bit of guidance if you can, why not do it?”
He said he could “care less” if there is negative reaction to his public advice to Griffin and he “figured it could help him in many ways.”
“I am a fan of his,” he said. “I have watched him, I have watched the young generation that is playing now. I have been a fan and love the game of football. I think anytime anyone can just give you anything. … Deion [Sanders] has been doing it, Michael Irvin has been doing it, so why can’t I sit and talk to the guy?”
In the interview with The Washington Post, McNabb said Griffin’s recent actions may start to become “a circus, a sideshow.”
“It’s too much right now; it’s just too much,” McNabb told the Washington Post from his Arizona home. “I get some of the things he’s doing to draw attention to himself: the adidas commercials, going out and enjoying the life of a young, famous NFL quarterback. I understand RG has a lot of stuff going on.
“But if you’re coming off ACL surgery, you don’t need to be having a press conference at OTAs. Every week? Really? It becomes a circus, a sideshow. It takes away from the focus of what those sessions are supposed to be about: the team.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Ne-Yo’s Ex-Fiance Moyetta Shaw Posts Pics With New Millionaire Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here