*Gabrielle Union knows first hand how easy it is to develop a “mean-girl” attitude in an industry that doesn’t cater to African American women.
The actress has starred in everything from dramedies like “Bring It On” to action films like “Bad Boys II.” But in Sunday’s (06-23-13) episode of “Oprah’s Next Chapter,” the actress admits it isn’t easy for a woman of color to land roles.
In the video below, Gabrielle explains the mean-girl culture and her thoughts on why it is such a common thing. “I think nowadays… you’re supported in tearing other people down,” Union says. “There’s a forum for it and there’s a huge spotlight on you to do that.”
After becoming an admitted “mean girl” herself, Union explains how attending a party with her trainer and sounding board A.J. Johnson, changed her views.
“I was holding court — because I can turn a phrase and be a little slick myself — and I was trashing somebody. Just ripping them to shreds, head to toe,” Union recalls. “A.J. pulls me aside and said, ‘Okay, now, how did your life change? Did you get the guy? Did you get the job? Is your house any bigger? Did money just magically get put in your pocket? What positive [event] happened in your life after you just tore that woman down?'”
First Look: African-American Women in Hollywood on “Oprah’s Next Chapter”:
Oprah sits down for an in-depth conversation with some of Hollywood’s most powerful African-American actresses, including Alfre Woodard, Viola Davis, Phylicia Rashad and Gabrielle Union.
During their interview at the Bacara Resort & Spa in Santa Barbara, the iconic actresses open up about the challenges, criticism and competition they face as African-American women in the entertainment industry.
Watch this episode of “Oprah’s Next Chapter” on Sunday, June 23, at 9/8c, plus the world television premiere of the documentary “Dark Girls” at 10/9c.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara Admits Struggle to Abstain From Sex With Russell Wilson
- Cam Newton Posts Pic of Baby Son Chosen
- Idris Elba Lands Romantic Drama; Samuel L. Jackson Pursues ‘Revival’ Role
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Beyonce Backlash, Cam Newton Criticized, Black Panther Party Documentary & More! | BHL's This Week
- The Deya Direct Podcast: What is a Man Whisperer?
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Screen Actors Guild Honors Outstanding Performances at 22nd Annual SAG Awards
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here