*Paula Deen’s two sons attempted some damage control this morning in the wake of their mom’s racism controversy.
During an interview on CNN’s “New Day,” co-anchor Chris Cuomo interviewed Jamie Deen and Bobby Deen about the troubles facing their mom. The two men said there was nothing racist about their upbringing, and offered as an example the lesson they were taught by the struggles of baseball legend Hank Aaron.
Cuomo began by asking Jamie and Bobby “What do you say to people who believe that your mother is a racist?”
“That’s simply not true,” Bobby replied, pointing out that “Our mother was under oath, asked in a deposition if she, to pore over her entire life and admit whether or not she had ever heard or used this word, and it broke her heart to have to answer truthfully, and say yes that they had, but the important thing is for people to know that is not her heart.”
“It is certainly not the home that we were raised in,” he continued. “We were raised in a family with love and of faith, and a house where God lived, and neither one of our parents ever taught us to be bigoted towards any other person for any reason, and this is so saddening to me because our mother is one of the most compassionate, good-hearted, empathetic people that you’d ever meet and these accusations are very hurtful to her and it’s very sad and frankly I’m disgusted by the entire thing, because it began as extortion, and it’s become character assassination, and our mother is not the picture of this being painted of her.”
Jamie jumped in to explain that “when I was a young man in 1975, Henry Aaron was my hero, in 1974 he broke Babe Ruth’s home run record by hitting 715 home runs. Before I had my tonsils taken out, I was 7 years old and really nervous, and my parents gave me Hank Aaron pajamas, and my mom and dad told the story of the challenges the Hammer faced in pursuit of his record. They told me he’s a man of character. This is a lesson I’ve carried throughout my life, of inclusion, and to treat everyone fairly and by their character and own merit. Under no circumstances should you ever judge anybody for any other reason.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Derek Fisher, Ex-Wife Agree to Destroy Their Frozen Embryos in Divorce Settlement
- Starz Programming Shift Moves ‘Power’, 'Survivor's Remorse' to Sunday Nights
- Tyler Perry on Singing ‘Play That Funky Music’ With Prince (Watch)
- Jay Z Responds to ‘Lemonade’, Shouts Out Prince On ‘All The Way Up’ Remix
- Dog Hours Away from Euthanasia, Saved By Student Vet's Discovery
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here