*The former chart-topping rap star Fat Joe has admitted to failing to file federal income taxes for two years. As a result Joe was sentenced to four months in prison.
During his sentencing Monday in federal court in Newark, N.J., the artist, who’s real name is Joseph Cartagena, apologized to his family and supporters.
Joe pleaded guilty in December to failing to pay taxes on more than $1 million of income in 2007 and in 2008.
U.S. Magistrate Cathy Waldor took into account for sentencing the allegation that Cartagena failed to pay taxes on some $3 million in income for the years 2007 through 2010. According to the federal prosecutor, the total tax loss to the government for those four years was $718,038.
With Joseph earning money from a few New Jersey based companies such as Terror Squad Production Inc., and Miramar Music Touring Inc., the case was held within the same state. He also earned income from FJTS Corp., during the time in question.
As he addressed the court in front of his family and supporters, Cartagena apologized before he spoke of growing up in a housing project in the Bronx in New York City surrounded by guns, drugs and “violence all around.”
“I did everything I could to achieve what I could, to move my family; I tried to stay positive, focus on the positive, and get myself out,” he said. He spoke of how many family members he supported and how he tried to give back to his community.
“I guess I’m surprised, caused I worked so hard to not end up in court, that I’m here,” he said. “This is the last place I thought I would be.”
Along with making an effort to shed weight to avoid some of the pitfalls many stars faced in terms of obesity, Joe also said he had recently signed a record deal in hopes of making money to pay back his arrears.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-25-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- GS Warriors Make NBA History with 16-0 Season Start (WATCH)
- Marcus D. Spencer (Big Spence) Finds Role in 'Fair Chase'
- 'Barbershop 3' Trailer Mixes Beauty, Comedy and Gang Violence [WATCH]
- Video of Chicago Police Officer Shooting Laquan McDonald Released (WATCH)
- (Video) WATCH: New 'Zootopia' Trailer
- Patti LaBelle Wants to Work with Fetty Wap, Talks Pie Success [WATCH]
- ‘Empire’: Alicia Keys Storyline to Explore Biracial Issues (Watch)
- Erased Burger King Footage in Laquan McDonald Shooting Tested for ‘Tampering’
- Videos Show Armed White Men Threatening #BlackLivesMatter Minneapolis Activists (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here