*We don’t normally report on Senator John McCain family matters, but today’s an appropriate time to do so.
The Arizona senator’s son, Jack was married over the weekend to Renee Swift. And you may have noticed that Ms. Swift, Now Mrs. McCain, is a person of color.
People reported that the younger McCain, 27, is lieutenant in the Navy and is based in Guam where he’s a helicopter pilot. Swift, 29, is from the Bay Area and is a captain in the Air Force reserve. They met in Guam.
The couple wed in San Francisco at Grace Cathedral and a reception followed at the California Academy of Sciences, according to a rep. The Washington Post reports that the event was attendend by all of the McCain children and even former presidential candidate Mitt Romney showed up at rehearsal dinner Friday night at the Tonga Room of the Fairmont Hotel
Meghan McCain, the groom’s sister, tweeted about the occasion throughout the weekend.
And speaking of social media, it comes as no surprise that folks are chiming in with well wishes for the couple, but of course there are those who still have issues with mixed marriages.
According to Cocoa Fab, on the McCain Facebook page, one commenter, Diann Daily, wrote: “No wonder McCain has crawled into bed with Obama…His son married a black girl! McCain is a RINO and a TRAITOR! Eeeewwwwwwwww…..”
Unfortunately others jumped and did the same thing, basically calling him a traitor. But not everyone who left messages is in the stone age. George Dwyer, who wrote “Did someone seriously post about this dude marrying a black chick like it was a bad thing? What dimension are you living in? Is it possible to be that ignorant in the year 2013?”
Unfortunately the answer is yes. However, that’s not going to stop the happy couple and wish them the best. By the way they plan to honeymoon in Africa and return to Guam.
See more photos of Jack and Rene, here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Socialist's Journal: 'Meternity Leave'
- Meet the Black Businessman Giving Ex-Cons, Veterans, and Homeless Support for Success
- THE (05-03-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ringside Update/Ortiz vs Berto II The Second Chapter
- Johnny Gill Says New Album to Accompany New Edition Biopic
- Bobby Shmurda to Sue NYPD Over False Arrest & Gun Charges
- Thanks to Stephen Curry, NBA To See Record Playoff Viewers
- Moya Angela: Dreamgirls' 'Effie' Speaks Exclusively to EURweb
- Aretha Franklin Covers 'Purple Rain' at International Jazz Day (WATCH)
- New Woman Claims She’s Prince’s Long-Lost Half Sister; Seeks Piece of Estate
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here