*Susan Rice, currently the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, will replace Tom Donilon as President Obama’s national security adviser – a position not subject to Senate confirmation.
Rice has been at the center of a firestorm over early accounts of the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which later proved to be incorrect. Rice came under intense fire from Republicans for initially characterizing the Sept. 11 assault as a spur-of-the-moment response to a crude anti-Muslim film. The Obama administration later said the violence was a planned terrorist attack.
Rice dropped out of the running to become Secretary of State in December – a post that was later filled by John Kerry.
She will be formally introduced in her new role by President Barack Obama at 2 p.m. ET today.
A White House official says Samantha Power, a former special assistant to the president on the National Security Council, will be nominated to replace Susan Rice as the U.N. ambassador.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- NeNe Leakes Blasts Luenell & Kenya Moore During Stand-Up
- Oprah's Convo with T. D. Jakes About Mega Church Series 'Greenleaf' (Photos)
- George Zimmerman Brags About Selling Gun That Killed Trayvon
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here