*Susan Rice, currently the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, will replace Tom Donilon as President Obama’s national security adviser – a position not subject to Senate confirmation.
Rice has been at the center of a firestorm over early accounts of the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which later proved to be incorrect. Rice came under intense fire from Republicans for initially characterizing the Sept. 11 assault as a spur-of-the-moment response to a crude anti-Muslim film. The Obama administration later said the violence was a planned terrorist attack.
Rice dropped out of the running to become Secretary of State in December – a post that was later filled by John Kerry.
She will be formally introduced in her new role by President Barack Obama at 2 p.m. ET today.
A White House official says Samantha Power, a former special assistant to the president on the National Security Council, will be nominated to replace Susan Rice as the U.N. ambassador.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (06-30-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Music Exec Salutes Billy Paul & Luther Vandross
- Before Muhammad Ali's Death, Son Says 'Evil Stepmom' Kept Him Prisoner
- Iggy Azalea Dumped Nick Young Because He Impregnated His Ex
- Deion Sanders Hit With $1M Lawsuit Over Assault at Son's School
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here