*Susan Rice, currently the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, will replace Tom Donilon as President Obama’s national security adviser – a position not subject to Senate confirmation.
Rice has been at the center of a firestorm over early accounts of the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, which later proved to be incorrect. Rice came under intense fire from Republicans for initially characterizing the Sept. 11 assault as a spur-of-the-moment response to a crude anti-Muslim film. The Obama administration later said the violence was a planned terrorist attack.
Rice dropped out of the running to become Secretary of State in December – a post that was later filled by John Kerry.
She will be formally introduced in her new role by President Barack Obama at 2 p.m. ET today.
A White House official says Samantha Power, a former special assistant to the president on the National Security Council, will be nominated to replace Susan Rice as the U.N. ambassador.
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- The Film Strip: New York Comic Con Tickets Going Fast
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Trump Dismisses Ramos, 2 Reporters Murdered in Virginia, Serena Williams New Boo | BHL's This Week
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here