On Wednesday, well-wishers and supporters continued to gather outside of the Pretoria hospital where the former South African president has been receiving treatment for nearly three weeks.
Also worth noting is the South African president’s cancellation a Thursday trip amid worry about his health.
On Sunday, President Jacob Zuma said the 94-year-old former leader is “well-looked after and is comfortable” but the South African government has been relatively tight-lipped regarding Mandela’s health status.
The South African president canceled a Thursday trip to Maputo, the Mozambican capital, where he was to attend a meeting on regional investment.
CBS News Debora Patta reports that 500 miles away from Pretoria, in Mandela’s ancestral village of Qunu, there was a lot of activity on Monday.
Family members were observed inspecting a burial site in the area and CBS sources told Patta the meeting was called to resolve a bitter family feud over the removal of graves of other relatives from the site by Mandela’s grandson.
South Africans were torn on Wednesday between the desire not to lose a critically ill Nelson Mandela, who defined the aspirations of so many of his compatriots, and resignation that the beloved former prisoner and president is approaching the end of his life.
The sense of anticipation and foreboding about Mandela’s fate has grown since late Sunday, when the South African government declared that the condition of the statesman, who was rushed to a hospital in Pretoria on June 8, had deteriorated.
Get the rest of this story at CBS News.
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here