*Yoruba Richen’s “The New Black,” a documentary about African-American attitudes toward gay marriage, has received the AFI Docs film festival’s Audience Award for Best Feature.
Filmed over a three-year period, the New York-native’s movie follows both champions and opponents of same-sex marriage, as both sides fight for their cause in Maryland. [Scroll down to watch the trailer.]
Richen examines how African-American voters have become bitterly divided on the issue of gay marriage because of homophobia rampant in one of the pillars of the African-American community – the church. Focusing on the fight for marriage equality in the state of Maryland, it examines the complex intertwined histories of gays and blacks and the idea that this hot-button issue is a matter of civil rights.
The five-day AFI Docs festival took place from June 19-23 in Washington, D.C. and Silver Spring, Md. Formerly known as Silverdocs, the festival screened 53 films from 30 countries and attracted 19,000 attendees, including 845 filmmakers, film subjects, journalists and industry members.
Watch a trailer for “The New Black” below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Johnny Gill Celebrates 50th and EUR was on the Scene (Video/Photos)
- Khloe Kardashian Files for Divorce from Lamar Odom ... Again!
- Music Producer Jazze Pha Drowning In Debt, Files for Bankruptcy
- ADIFF Holds Black Film Series May 27-29 Featuring Films by Sidney Poitier & Charles Burnett
- Tyler Perry Upgrades Like a Boss; Takes a Hit with Buckhead Mansion Sale (Report)
- Rapper Troy Ave Arrested in T.I. Concert Shooting; New Video Allegedly Shows Him Opening Fire (Watch)
- Racist Chinese Detergent Ad Washes the Black Off of Black Man (Watch)
- Alicia Keys to Make History with San Siro Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here