*Yoruba Richen’s “The New Black,” a documentary about African-American attitudes toward gay marriage, has received the AFI Docs film festival’s Audience Award for Best Feature.
Filmed over a three-year period, the New York-native’s movie follows both champions and opponents of same-sex marriage, as both sides fight for their cause in Maryland. [Scroll down to watch the trailer.]
Richen examines how African-American voters have become bitterly divided on the issue of gay marriage because of homophobia rampant in one of the pillars of the African-American community – the church. Focusing on the fight for marriage equality in the state of Maryland, it examines the complex intertwined histories of gays and blacks and the idea that this hot-button issue is a matter of civil rights.
The five-day AFI Docs festival took place from June 19-23 in Washington, D.C. and Silver Spring, Md. Formerly known as Silverdocs, the festival screened 53 films from 30 countries and attracted 19,000 attendees, including 845 filmmakers, film subjects, journalists and industry members.
Watch a trailer for “The New Black” below.
- Fantasia Reunites With Husband, Faces Tax Lien
- NAACP President Compares Bree Newsome to Rosa Parks
- Doctors Warn of Health Risks from Wearing Skinny Jeans
- Eva Longoria to Donald Trump: ‘You Must Expect a Backlash’ (Watch)
- Warrant Issued for Florida State QB De’Andre Johnson
- K. Michelle Comes for SWV’s Coko; Tamar Gets Memed Over BET Performance
- Kirk Frost of 'L&HHA' Arrested at Dirt Bike Rally
- ‘BET Awards’ Ratings Down From Chris Rock-Hosted 2014 Ceremony
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here