*Yoruba Richen’s “The New Black,” a documentary about African-American attitudes toward gay marriage, has received the AFI Docs film festival’s Audience Award for Best Feature.
Filmed over a three-year period, the New York-native’s movie follows both champions and opponents of same-sex marriage, as both sides fight for their cause in Maryland. [Scroll down to watch the trailer.]
Richen examines how African-American voters have become bitterly divided on the issue of gay marriage because of homophobia rampant in one of the pillars of the African-American community – the church. Focusing on the fight for marriage equality in the state of Maryland, it examines the complex intertwined histories of gays and blacks and the idea that this hot-button issue is a matter of civil rights.
The five-day AFI Docs festival took place from June 19-23 in Washington, D.C. and Silver Spring, Md. Formerly known as Silverdocs, the festival screened 53 films from 30 countries and attracted 19,000 attendees, including 845 filmmakers, film subjects, journalists and industry members.
Watch a trailer for “The New Black” below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Wendy Williams Blasts Ciara Over $15 Million Future Lawsuit
- Must See! Barack and Michelle's Valentine's Day Greetings to Each Other (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here