*Yoruba Richen’s “The New Black,” a documentary about African-American attitudes toward gay marriage, has received the AFI Docs film festival’s Audience Award for Best Feature.
Filmed over a three-year period, the New York-native’s movie follows both champions and opponents of same-sex marriage, as both sides fight for their cause in Maryland. [Scroll down to watch the trailer.]
Richen examines how African-American voters have become bitterly divided on the issue of gay marriage because of homophobia rampant in one of the pillars of the African-American community – the church. Focusing on the fight for marriage equality in the state of Maryland, it examines the complex intertwined histories of gays and blacks and the idea that this hot-button issue is a matter of civil rights.
The five-day AFI Docs festival took place from June 19-23 in Washington, D.C. and Silver Spring, Md. Formerly known as Silverdocs, the festival screened 53 films from 30 countries and attracted 19,000 attendees, including 845 filmmakers, film subjects, journalists and industry members.
Watch a trailer for “The New Black” below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Christopher 'Play' Martin to Speak at Suny-Oneonta Monday Nov. 30
- A 'Broke' 50 Cent Flaunts Stacks of Cash in Fridge (WATCH)
- Here’s why the Alleged Planned Parenthood Killer Isn’t called a Domestic Terrorist
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here