The honor comes nearly 17 years after the rapper’s death. With over 75 million albums worldwide and a legacy of social activism and change, Pac’s recognition is well overdue.
Shakur, who recorded music as 2Pac, will be awarded his star for his recording career. 2Pac get his start touring as a roadie and dancer for Digital Underground. From there he went on to appear on Digital Underground’s 1991 single “Same Song.” The song was featured in the film Nothing But Trouble earning Shakur his first big break.
To capitalize on the buzz surrounding his rising career, that same year Shakur released his debut album, “2Pacalypse Now.” The 13-cut collection featured the singles “Trapped,” which discussed police brutality, and “Brenda’s Got A Baby,” which focused on a 12-year-old girl who became pregnant after being sexually abused.
New batches of entertainment professionals, skilled in the categories of Motion Pictures, Television, Radio, and Recording were chosen to receive the coveted Walk of Fame star. There are seven recoding artists, Motown singers/songwriters Holland Dozier Holland, Electric Light Orchestra’s Jeff Lynne, Latin rockers Mana, “Ghostbusters” performer Ray Parker Jr., pop star Katy Perry, rock icon Rick Springfield and mega rapper Tupac Amaru Shakur, who will receive a posthumous star will all be honored with their own induction ceremony next year.
Tavis Smiley is also set to receive a star during next year’s Hollywood Walk of Fame. As most know, Tavis is a talk show host, author, liberal political commentator, entrepreneur, advocate and philanthropist.
“The Walk of Fame Selection Committee is proud to announce the new Class of 2014,” stated David Green, Chairman of the Walk of Fame selection committee. “We have a great mix of celebrities and industry executives who have made Hollywood what it is today – one of the greatest entertainment destinations in the world. The new selections will bring great joy and fond memories for those millions who visit Hollywood each year!”
For more info: www.walkoffame.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here