*Actress Whoopi Goldberg has been honored at this year’s Provincetown Film Festival in Massachusetts for her documentary about pioneering comedienne Moms Mabley.
The star made her directorial debut with “I Got Somethin’ To Tell You,” about vaudeville star, which she completed last year with funds pledged by fans via fundraising website Kickstarter.com.
Now she’s been recognized for her efforts, earning the John Schlesinger Award at the annual Provincetown festival, which celebrates both U.S. and international features, documentaries and short films. The Schlesinger prize is given to first-time documentary or feature filmmakers.
Goldberg wasn’t the only star feted at Sunday night’s (June 23) ceremony. “Spring Breakers” director Harmony Korine received the Filmmaker on the Edge Award, following in the footsteps of previous recipients including Quentin Tarantino, Gus Van Sant and Darren Aronofsky.
Below the “I Got Somethin’ To Tell You” Moms Mabley bit that gives the documentary its name.
- Paul Mooney Says Bill Cosby Got His 'N****r Wake-up Call'
- Shaq Doubles Down on Pippen: ‘I Don’t Let Bums Disrespect Me’
- Judge Tosses Orlando Scandrick’s Restraining Order Against Draya
- Second Suspect in 10 Days Dies in Custody of Houston Police
- Tom Joyner' Cruise Supports Students Featured on Hollywood Divas Season 2
- Azealia Banks Angers Australia by Calling Crowds ‘Belligerent’
- Report: Tom Brady Destroyed Cell Phone; NFL Suspension to be Upheld
- Bobbi Kristina's Body Released for Burial
- Rashida Jones Dropped Robin Thicke for Al B. Sure in Junior High
- TV Land’s ‘Soul Man’ Renewed for Fifth and Final Season
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here