*Will.i.am released an all-star album six weeks ago.
Unfortunately for the leader of the Black Eyed Peas it’s an all-out flop.
It doesn’t look like a solo career was the best move for the once chart topping artist.
“Willpower” dropped on April 23rd and sits at 96 on the Billboard just barely making the top 100 list. It currently ranks on Amazon at 555,664. How is that even possible for artist of his caliber? This is a complete disaster.
Fans obviously used real will power. The album sold just 55,000 copies. Yes you read it right. That’s its, that’s all folks. That’s the same numbers he drops on bottle service in the club.
It looks like the lineup of mega pop stars didn’t boost the buzz surrounding the album or it’s sales. With features from the likes of Britney Spears, Justin Bieber and Miley Cirus his visibility and marketing strategy seemed almost fool proof. Well not enough people played the record, so it looks like will.i.am is playing the fool this time. Despite the album’s lackluster performance on the charts, the single featuring Britney managed to make it to number 1.
Outside of album sales, the “Willpower” singles combined for over 4 million copies sold. According to Soundscan, Britney’s single alone sold 3 million units with the remaining individual tracks accounting for just over one million.
On the other hand, the single “ThatPower” featuring Justin Bieber only charted at number 17. In an attempt to revive “Willpower” Will is creating a new music video for the song “Fall Down” featuring Miley Cyrus. The concept is said to be a take off Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained”, with Miley playing the role of a plantation owner’s daughter.
Yes, a plantation owner’s daughter.
When an artist like will.i.am can only sell 55,000 copies, it forces people to realize just how difficult it is in the music business nowadays. It’s serves as a lesson learned for will.i.am after trying to imitate the likes of a Quincy Jones-type album with a barrage of guests. His audience is used to hearing Fergie on the hook and chose not to settle for the teenybopper he chose as replacements. If he recut this album with better, more mature singers of various cultural backgrounds, he might be able to salvage something with “Willpower”.
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here