*Previous reports suggested that music hit maker Pharrell Williams was in the middle of a legal battle with fellow musician will.i.am. Allegedly will.i.am filed a claim against Pharrell regarding a copyright issue.
Yesterday (June 26) details regarding the lawsuit hit the net. Pharrell has launched a new brand “I Am Other.” Will.i.am’s claim is that Pharrell is dangerously close to the phrase “I AM” in which Will currently owns the copyright to.
“The registration of the mark . . . is likely to dilute the I AM mark and the WILL.I.AM mark,” the document reads. (Rolling Stone)
The suit came as a surprise to Williams, who has since released a statement on the issue.
“I am disappointed that Will, a fellow artist, would file a case against me,” Pharrell says in a statement to RS. “I am someone who likes to talk things out and, in fact, I attempted to do just that on many occasions. I am surprised in how this is being handled and I am confident that Will’s trademark claims will ultimately be found to be as meritless and ridiculous as I do.”
However, Will.I.Am has denied the lawsuit, taking to Twitter to claim he never sued Pharrell.
Coincidentally Will.i.am faced legalities of his own with a company who sued him for over $2 million last year. The company said they inked a deal back in 2010 to launch a line called “I.Am.Clothing” in which Will backed out on. According to the company, the Black Eyed Peas name was to be used for the clothing line and Will agreed to design and market the brand as well. However, Will says the deal was over and out already.
Pharrell has popularized his “I Am Other” brand for years now. He teamed up with United Entertainment Group to launch “I Am Other” as a property with content that will highlight new musicians, filmmakers, designers, artists and innovators. Its platforms will include online, mobile and retail channels, TV shows and films.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Yolanda Adams Added to Fox’s Live Musical ‘The Passion’
- Lance Stephenson Drags Ex K. Michelle Over ‘Down in the DM’ Remix
- Cleveland Rescinds $500 ER Bill Sent to Tamir Rice’s Family
- Not a Good Cop Look: Ex-Sheriff, Lee Baca, Admits Guilt in False Statements
- Woman Accusing Chris Brown of Battery Files Lawsuit
- Wife of Thunder Asst. Coach Monty Williams Dies in Car Crash
- Diddy Joining ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Pharrell Williams
- Janet Jackson Sighting: Paps Finally Catch Her After Surgery (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here