*Previous reports suggested that music hit maker Pharrell Williams was in the middle of a legal battle with fellow musician will.i.am. Allegedly will.i.am filed a claim against Pharrell regarding a copyright issue.
Yesterday (June 26) details regarding the lawsuit hit the net. Pharrell has launched a new brand “I Am Other.” Will.i.am’s claim is that Pharrell is dangerously close to the phrase “I AM” in which Will currently owns the copyright to.
“The registration of the mark . . . is likely to dilute the I AM mark and the WILL.I.AM mark,” the document reads. (Rolling Stone)
The suit came as a surprise to Williams, who has since released a statement on the issue.
“I am disappointed that Will, a fellow artist, would file a case against me,” Pharrell says in a statement to RS. “I am someone who likes to talk things out and, in fact, I attempted to do just that on many occasions. I am surprised in how this is being handled and I am confident that Will’s trademark claims will ultimately be found to be as meritless and ridiculous as I do.”
However, Will.I.Am has denied the lawsuit, taking to Twitter to claim he never sued Pharrell.
Coincidentally Will.i.am faced legalities of his own with a company who sued him for over $2 million last year. The company said they inked a deal back in 2010 to launch a line called “I.Am.Clothing” in which Will backed out on. According to the company, the Black Eyed Peas name was to be used for the clothing line and Will agreed to design and market the brand as well. However, Will says the deal was over and out already.
Pharrell has popularized his “I Am Other” brand for years now. He teamed up with United Entertainment Group to launch “I Am Other” as a property with content that will highlight new musicians, filmmakers, designers, artists and innovators. Its platforms will include online, mobile and retail channels, TV shows and films.
- S.C. Legislature Has Votes to Remove Confederate Flag; KKK to Rally at Statehouse
- NBC Wants Minority Host to Replace Trump on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’?
- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin Goes Viral with Anti-Confederate Flag Post
- Report: Tyga Fails to Pay 50K Offered to Squash Underage Sexual Battery Lawsuit
- Lee Daniels Signs Overall Deal with 20th Century Fox TV
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Reveals She’s Having Twins
- NBC Fires Donald Trump Over Racist Comments
- Rich Homie Quan Bails from BET Awards Over Stage Demotion
- Cameron Turner: More White Folks Need to Listen To Us
- Female EMT 'Fired' for Refusal to Support Baby in Distress (Child Dies)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here