*Will Smith says he’s done with blockbusters, for now.
Since the release of his new film, “After Earth,” which has struggled at the box office, critics have questioned (perhaps cynically) if Smith still has what it takes to put butts in the seats at theaters.
But at this stage in his career, Smith says, he is less concerned with big-budget films, and more interested in exploring his creativity and artistic nature (hence doing family projects for the past three years or so.)
During an “After Earth” interview with Digital Spy, Smith said, “It’s been an absolute necessity that the movie be a blockbuster, but I think I’m going to start moving out of that and finding more danger in my artistic choices.”
Where exactly this will lead the 44-year-old actor is yet to be seen. (He did turn down the title role in “Django Unchained,” after all.)
Smith’s upcoming projects, meanwhile, seem to represent a hybrid of his usual stuff– long-rumored projects include “Bad Boys 3,” “Hancock 2″ and “I, Robot 2″.
“Winter’s Tale,” slated for release later this year and co-starring Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe, boasts a $75 million budget, a figure that’s relatively modest given Smith’s history.
(“After Earth” comes with a reported $130 million price tag, whereas “Men In Black 3″ was filmed for $215 million.)
When asked what about the moviemaking process frightens him the most, Smith responded: “The movie opening at No. 2. Oh, I just gave myself a chill.”
- Street Leading to Sandra Bland's Alma Mater Renamed in Her Honor
- Burger King Proposes to McDonalds ... in the Name of Peace
- Had Your Fill Yet?
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts - Black Stars of the Great White Way (Part I)
- Russell Wilson Says God Has Anointed Him and Ciara
- 'WAGS' Star Autumn Ajirotutu on Why She’s Not a Gold-Digger
- Did Enquirer Pay Nick Gordon $40K to Visit Bobbi Kristina’s Grave?
- George Zimmerman Calls Pres. Obama ‘Ignorant Baboon’ in Twitter Rant Over WDBJ Shootings
- Former NBA Star Darryl Dawkins (Chocolate Thunder) Dies at 58
- Chris Brown Tattoos Huge Bull on Other Side of his Head
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here