*Will Smith says he’s done with blockbusters, for now.
Since the release of his new film, “After Earth,” which has struggled at the box office, critics have questioned (perhaps cynically) if Smith still has what it takes to put butts in the seats at theaters.
But at this stage in his career, Smith says, he is less concerned with big-budget films, and more interested in exploring his creativity and artistic nature (hence doing family projects for the past three years or so.)
During an “After Earth” interview with Digital Spy, Smith said, “It’s been an absolute necessity that the movie be a blockbuster, but I think I’m going to start moving out of that and finding more danger in my artistic choices.”
Where exactly this will lead the 44-year-old actor is yet to be seen. (He did turn down the title role in “Django Unchained,” after all.)
Smith’s upcoming projects, meanwhile, seem to represent a hybrid of his usual stuff– long-rumored projects include “Bad Boys 3,” “Hancock 2” and “I, Robot 2”.
“Winter’s Tale,” slated for release later this year and co-starring Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe, boasts a $75 million budget, a figure that’s relatively modest given Smith’s history.
(“After Earth” comes with a reported $130 million price tag, whereas “Men In Black 3” was filmed for $215 million.)
When asked what about the moviemaking process frightens him the most, Smith responded: “The movie opening at No. 2. Oh, I just gave myself a chill.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jesse Williams Reminds BET Audience Why He’s #ActivistBae (Watch the Full Speech)
- Watch: This Young Brother Met an 'Angel' at Krogers in Memphis
- Jill Scott Marries Longtime Boyfriend Mike Dobson; He Surprises Her with Big Daddy Kane at Reception (Watch)
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here