*A highlight of Sunday’s “BET Awards ‘13” telecast took place during an early commercial break when a trailer for the upcoming holiday musical “Black Nativity” made its debut.
The contemporary adaptation of Langston Hughes’ play stars Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, Jennifer Hudson, Tyrese Gibson, Jacob Latimore, Mary J. Blige and Nas – billed as his real name, Nasir Jones.
“Black Nativity” follows Langston (Latimore), a streetwise teen from Baltimore raised by a single mother, as he journeys to New York to spend the Christmas holiday with his estranged relatives, Reverend Cornell and Aretha Cobbs (Whitaker and Bassett).
Unwilling to live by the imposing reverend’s rules, a frustrated Langston is determined to return home to his mother, Naima (Hudson). Langston embarks on a surprising and inspirational journey and, along with new friends and a little divine intervention, he discovers the true meaning of faith, healing and family.
In the trailer, Hudson sings a revamped version of “Silent Night.” The movie hits theaters Nov. 27.
Watch the trailer below.
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here