*A highlight of Sunday’s “BET Awards ‘13” telecast took place during an early commercial break when a trailer for the upcoming holiday musical “Black Nativity” made its debut.
The contemporary adaptation of Langston Hughes’ play stars Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, Jennifer Hudson, Tyrese Gibson, Jacob Latimore, Mary J. Blige and Nas – billed as his real name, Nasir Jones.
“Black Nativity” follows Langston (Latimore), a streetwise teen from Baltimore raised by a single mother, as he journeys to New York to spend the Christmas holiday with his estranged relatives, Reverend Cornell and Aretha Cobbs (Whitaker and Bassett).
Unwilling to live by the imposing reverend’s rules, a frustrated Langston is determined to return home to his mother, Naima (Hudson). Langston embarks on a surprising and inspirational journey and, along with new friends and a little divine intervention, he discovers the true meaning of faith, healing and family.
In the trailer, Hudson sings a revamped version of “Silent Night.” The movie hits theaters Nov. 27.
Watch the trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- ‘The Real’s’ Adrienne Bailon Calls Tamar Braxton ‘My Sister Forever’
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: You Don't Know What You Don't Know
- The Socialist's Journal: Blake Lively
- Dr. Kenneth C. Ulmer and David Sigel Announce TUI
- 'It Got Better': Raven Symone Talks Sexuality & Coming Out (WATCH)
- THE (05-24-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Oscar Generale & Denny Mendez Shopping for Baby Clothes?
- Lynn Whitfield Dishes on Her Dramatic Face Off With Oprah! (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here