*Yessir buddy! The BET Awards 2013 was a straight up winner as far as ratings go.
The show drew 7.7 million viewers Sunday – averaged a 3.4 rating/10 share in adults 18-49 and 7.77 million viewers overall – finishing as the most watched show on cable for the week, according to Nielsen.
In fact, no other Sunday primetime telecast came close in the 18-49 demo, as it finished well ahead of HBO’s “True Blood” (2.2 rating) and CBS’ “Big Brother” (1.9). And for the week, the BET Awards edged out the premiere of CBS’ “Under the Dome” and Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC as the No. 1 telecast in the demo, reports Variety.
This year’s presentation, which featured performances Chris Brown, Ciara, Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz (pictured above), Janelle Monae’ and Charlie Wilson among others, topped the 7.4 million viewers garnered by last year’s show and match the audience for the 2011 BET Awards, ratings service Nielsen said.
And as far as social media is concerned, the BET Awards accounted for 51% of all social chatter across all of cable on Sunday, dominating Twitter with nearly ten million tweets, BET confirmed.
This year’s awards show, which originated this year from the Nokia Theater L.A. Live after seven previous years in the Shrine Auditorium, was hosted by Chris Tucker.
The 3.4 demo rating puts the BET Awards on par with the most recent ABC telecasts of the Billboard Music Awards (3.5 in May) and American Music Awards (3.4 last November).
Meanwhile, in other cable ratings news, Multichannel News reports that USA Network won its third straight weekly primetime ratings race, averaging 2.6 million viewers during the week of June 24 to June 30 to top second place TNT’s 2.3 million viewers and third place Disney Channel’s 2.2 million watchers, according to Nielsen.
History (channel) finished fourth with 2.1 million viewers followed by TBS (1.9 million viewers); BET (1.6 million); A&E (1.6 million); ESPN (1.5 million); Fox News (1.4 million) and FX (1.3 million).
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Teyonah Parris’ Hair Becomes Storyline for ‘Survivor’s Remorse’ Season 2
- Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sued for Wooing, Then, Deserting Boxer
- Nick Gordon Begs Permission to Attend Bobbi Kristina’s Funeral
- Bobbi Kristina’s Fam Feuding Over Planned Sweet 16-Themed Funeral?
- Wilson, Seahawks Agee to 4-Year, $87.5 Million Contract Extension
- Neechy Gospel: John P. Kee to Release New Project LEVEL NEXT
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here