*Yessir buddy! The BET Awards 2013 was a straight up winner as far as ratings go.
The show drew 7.7 million viewers Sunday – averaged a 3.4 rating/10 share in adults 18-49 and 7.77 million viewers overall – finishing as the most watched show on cable for the week, according to Nielsen.
In fact, no other Sunday primetime telecast came close in the 18-49 demo, as it finished well ahead of HBO’s “True Blood” (2.2 rating) and CBS’ “Big Brother” (1.9). And for the week, the BET Awards edged out the premiere of CBS’ “Under the Dome” and Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC as the No. 1 telecast in the demo, reports Variety.
This year’s presentation, which featured performances Chris Brown, Ciara, Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz (pictured above), Janelle Monae’ and Charlie Wilson among others, topped the 7.4 million viewers garnered by last year’s show and match the audience for the 2011 BET Awards, ratings service Nielsen said.
And as far as social media is concerned, the BET Awards accounted for 51% of all social chatter across all of cable on Sunday, dominating Twitter with nearly ten million tweets, BET confirmed.
This year’s awards show, which originated this year from the Nokia Theater L.A. Live after seven previous years in the Shrine Auditorium, was hosted by Chris Tucker.
The 3.4 demo rating puts the BET Awards on par with the most recent ABC telecasts of the Billboard Music Awards (3.5 in May) and American Music Awards (3.4 last November).
Meanwhile, in other cable ratings news, Multichannel News reports that USA Network won its third straight weekly primetime ratings race, averaging 2.6 million viewers during the week of June 24 to June 30 to top second place TNT’s 2.3 million viewers and third place Disney Channel’s 2.2 million watchers, according to Nielsen.
History (channel) finished fourth with 2.1 million viewers followed by TBS (1.9 million viewers); BET (1.6 million); A&E (1.6 million); ESPN (1.5 million); Fox News (1.4 million) and FX (1.3 million).
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here