*Just days after Detroit filed for bankruptcy, Beyonce’s “Mrs. Carter” world tour rolled through the Motor City on Saturday, with the singer dedicating a segment of her show to lifting spirits.
The 31-year-old belted Sam Cooke’s classic “Change is Gonna Come” as a video montage of Detroit themes played behind her all-girl band. Among the images: a number of Motown artists, boxing great Joe Louis, The Renaissance Center, a United Auto Workers logo, Kid Rock, Eminem and a motivational quote from Henry Ford.
“Detroit! Hi y’all doin’? I’m very grateful to have a show here in Detroit tonight. I love this city,” yelled Beyonce during the performance, according to MLive.com. [Watch below.]
Last week, it was revealed that Eminem turned down the lead role in Neill Blomkamp’s sci-movie “Elysium” because it wasn’t set in Detroit. Oscar-winner Matt Damon was actually the director’s third choice for the part – behind Eminem and rapper Ninja – though both turned down the role.
According to Wired, Eminem had the single condition that “Elysium” shoot in his hometown – something producers were unable to deliver. With Oscar-winner Damon in the lead role, production began in Mexico City in July 2011.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here