*Addressing the Trayvon Martin killing last week, President Barack Obama said that his own encounters with discrimination stopped only when he became a senator.
But interviews with African-American congressmen found that discrimination remains prevalent for them. Several were willing to share their difficult struggles with The Huffington Post, opening up about their experiences and emotions in dealing with prejudices that still tarnish their lives, even amid their success, and darken the days of their children.
In the video below, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) notes that white women still flinch at seeing him on an elevator (3:52) and says, “I don’t want anyone to be afraid of me.” (7:27). Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.) discusses the prejudice he still sees in Congress every day (5:02). Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) talks about the advice he gave his own children after the Martin verdict should they ever encounter a suspicious neighborhood watchman, as he himself has (9:25). His daughter told him she wasn’t sure his advice would have helped Martin (10:27).
Yet the Supreme Court recently threw out part of the Voting Rights Act, saying it was outdated. And many people who watched the acquittal of George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed Martin, concluded there was no racial issue in the case.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Golden State Warriors and Steph Curry Mingle with Pres. Obama
- John Hairston: Why So Many R&B Radio Stations Are Becoming Black History!
- Kanye West 53 Million dollars in Debt; the TRUTH Behind the SHINE
- Corrie Harris Asks Are you 'Entouch' with Fashion?
- Happy Valentines Day from ThisNthat: 3 Funny Videos Just for You!
- Steve Harvey's Decepti-Date Segment is An #EpicFail
- SNL's 'The Day Beyoncé Turned Black' is Beyond Hilarious (WATCH)
- Video Shows Raven-Symone Didn't Get 'Slapped Upside the Chest' (WATCH)
- VIDEO: Who will President Obama Pick to Replace Justice Scalia?
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here