*Addressing the Trayvon Martin killing last week, President Barack Obama said that his own encounters with discrimination stopped only when he became a senator.
But interviews with African-American congressmen found that discrimination remains prevalent for them. Several were willing to share their difficult struggles with The Huffington Post, opening up about their experiences and emotions in dealing with prejudices that still tarnish their lives, even amid their success, and darken the days of their children.
In the video below, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) notes that white women still flinch at seeing him on an elevator (3:52) and says, “I don’t want anyone to be afraid of me.” (7:27). Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.) discusses the prejudice he still sees in Congress every day (5:02). Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) talks about the advice he gave his own children after the Martin verdict should they ever encounter a suspicious neighborhood watchman, as he himself has (9:25). His daughter told him she wasn’t sure his advice would have helped Martin (10:27).
Yet the Supreme Court recently threw out part of the Voting Rights Act, saying it was outdated. And many people who watched the acquittal of George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed Martin, concluded there was no racial issue in the case.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Why?! Well Known Black Ministers Set to Meet With Trump
- Movie Watch: Big Weekend for Creed, The Good Dinosaur, Victor Frankenstein
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Walt Disney’s 'The Good Dinosaur' is a Story of a Bond of Two Unlikely Friends
- Naughty by Nature Hitting the Road to Celebrate 25th Anniversary
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here