*Addressing the Trayvon Martin killing last week, President Barack Obama said that his own encounters with discrimination stopped only when he became a senator.
But interviews with African-American congressmen found that discrimination remains prevalent for them. Several were willing to share their difficult struggles with The Huffington Post, opening up about their experiences and emotions in dealing with prejudices that still tarnish their lives, even amid their success, and darken the days of their children.
In the video below, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) notes that white women still flinch at seeing him on an elevator (3:52) and says, “I don’t want anyone to be afraid of me.” (7:27). Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.) discusses the prejudice he still sees in Congress every day (5:02). Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) talks about the advice he gave his own children after the Martin verdict should they ever encounter a suspicious neighborhood watchman, as he himself has (9:25). His daughter told him she wasn’t sure his advice would have helped Martin (10:27).
Yet the Supreme Court recently threw out part of the Voting Rights Act, saying it was outdated. And many people who watched the acquittal of George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed Martin, concluded there was no racial issue in the case.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Supermarkets: Please 'Assume' We Would 'Like a Bag' (Unless We Say Different)
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Wives 'Having 2 Much Fun on Vacay' (Watch)
- How Prince Ended Up on Mobb Deep's Track ‘Thou Shall Not Kill’
- OWN Sets Two-Night Premiere for Ava DuVernay Series ‘Queen Sugar’ (Watch Sneak Peek)
- Watch Rihanna's New 'Sledgehammer' Video inspired by 'Star Trek Beyond!'
- Stacey Dash Calls Jesse Williams a ‘Hollywood Plantation Slave’
- No, Pres. Obama Is NOT Giving $1000 to Everyone on Food Stamps
- UConn Revokes Bill Cosby’s Honorary Degree for Conduct 'Incongruent' With Their Values
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here